Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike quit on me a couple weeks ago, and just today got a chance to inspect it. At the time I thought it was a lack of fuel issue... Believe it or not,
it is out of fuel. I of course had looked in the tank and saw fuel, looked like over half a tank. But looks can be deceiving... I 'sticked' it, and only had an inch. Yep, right down to the reserve inlet tube on the petcock. But not even thinking that the fuel would be that low, I didn't switch it to reserve.

Started with a full tank, and went EXACTLY 10 miles when it quit... Not very good fuel milage huh? :eek:

I have been told that the float most likely stuck open and lost all that fuel through the overflow while riding. After searching here, I see that is definitely possible. But that quickly?

Anyway, I will be ordering a new float assy, but have question on setting the level. You are supposed to check the level while holding the carb on it's side. In my attached pics, first pic is tilting it slightly so the float is open.

Second pic is tilting the carb level just until the float closes.

Third pic, if I tilt it slightly further, the float raises even more. My eyes aren't the best and I can't see why it's going up further, feels like an extremely small spring pressure from pic 2 to pic 3 that allows it to raise further.

Is this normal?

Just wondering if the level was set correctly as in pic 2, or was there a problem with the float or needle/seat that allowed it to raise up to pic 3.

Best place to order a carb kit online? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That seems about the same level that my float opens.. Maybe not but that seems right
Could get a carb rebuild kit on ebay pretty cheap

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
If you were leaking that much gas I would think that you would have to smell it. Check the needle and seat............
Float height should be between 12 and 14 mm while the float arm is just contacting the needle valve.
I measued 13 mm on a business card and cut the 13mm strip to hold it up against it while I checked it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were leaking that much gas I would think that you would have to smell it. Check the needle and seat............
Float height should be between 12 and 14 mm while the float arm is just contacting the needle valve.
I measued 13 mm on a business card and cut the 13mm strip to hold it up against it while I checked it.
Spize- is it normal for the float to raise up higher if tilted slightly as in my pic 3? I can't see what's going on in there

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
not sure what you mean but if I remember correctly when it is correct it is not quite even with the carb rim.......a little lower on the free side of the float.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts