Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you have to remove your radiator when you installed your aftemarket pipe?

If you did, what brand pipe did you install?

If you didn't have to remove the radiator what brand pipe did you install?

Last question... did you need to remove any other stock part in order to do an aftermarket pipe install? What brand pipe, what stock part?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Pipe installation

I just installed my FMF Powerbomb and had to remove both the cooling lines. The one that houses the thermostat and the one that goes to the pump. Someone said you can do it without removing anything, but I don't believe that. The radiator fluid can be saved if you want. Use rags when you disassemble the housings as there will always be residual fluid leaking out. It cleans up easily.

Oh and by the way, if your tranny is going to fall apart on you the next day while backing into your garage, you may as well have the dealer install your pipe after they completely disassemble the motor/transmision to repair it. Ha, ha!

Good luck!

Out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
header pipe

Yo, Just cut the stock header pipe with a sawsall. It is easy and you won't need the stock header anyway. Someone recommended it in this forum and it saves a great deal of time and effort. Good luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
that would have been me.......i cut it for 2 reasons.....one i hated it and it made me feel good to chop it up in little peices and two you can wiggle and tear down and wiggle and feel like you accomplished something but with a sawsall it took 2 seconds.

i took my fan off of the radiator and it made the re-install of the powertech 4 system way easy.........my .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: header pipe

Yo, Just cut the stock header pipe with a sawsall.  It is easy and you won't need the stock header anyway.  Someone recommended it in this forum and it saves a great deal of time and effort.  Good luck.[/b]
Well, as for me I like to keep the stock parts intact. No, nobody is gonna buy them from you probably BUT when you sell your bike you can take off the custom stuff and put the stock stuff back on. Unless you find someone that is willing to pay for the bike as is. Many people these days sell bikes back to the dealer and dealer will give you shi* for custom stuff especially.
SO, I take the time to save the stock part if possible.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Bill, I thought you got a slipon? I did not even have to loosen the headpipe to install the slipon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, I thought you got a slipon? I did not even have to loosen the headpipe to install the slipon.[/b]
YES, I have an HMF slip-on on the way and am happy with that choice. My bike sits in the garage with silencer off and main jett rejetted to 165. My one son who is very active on BlueTraxx and elsewhere said he heard you have to pull the radiator to do the pipe install on a KFX400 / Z400. I being the curious type wanted to find out exactly, IF radiator, etc. needed to be removed. Also, figured it might help someone here make a decision which way to go.. just silencer or compete system. As for me I felt $ and power gains going with more then a silencer on my KFX400 would not be worth it to me personally. But I'm an old man......ho,ho, ho...
OH, as you know just 2 bolts that are easily removed and a loosening of a screw on silencer to pipe clamp and the stock silencer comes off easily.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I am currently in the process of completing my Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust and took the stock header off today i also like to keep the stuff. I couldnt get the head pipe out with stuff in there so undid the coolant line that helped a bit so i loosened the radiator helped a bit then took out the coolant sensor on the engine and got it out. DW said they had to due that to get the PC header in so i am not to worried about doing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently in the process of completing my Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust and took the stock header off today i also like to keep the stuff.  I couldnt get the head pipe out with stuff in there so undid the coolant line that helped a bit so i loosened the radiator helped a bit then took out the coolant sensor on the engine and got it out.  DW said they had to due that to get the PC header in so i am not to worried about doing it.[/b]
Weren't you the guy from Lowe's ? Did you ever check into that look alike/ act alike plastic rivet/connector used on Z400 / KFX400 body plastic being available at Lowes ?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have helped put on a couple LRD full pipes. I had to take off the bottom radiator hose to get the stock pipe off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I unloosened the bolts to the radiator and wiggled the stock pipe out, the LRD pipe went in much easier than the stock coming out, but I did not have to remove the entire radiator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had to loosen the fan and wiggle the stock pipe out. It would had been alot easier to just cut the pipe. The Yoshi pipe went in with no problem!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took out the three radiator bolts and moved the radiator down slightly to clear the hose to get the stocker out and the yoshi slipped right in with no problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
took off the lower radiator hose,houseing that holds the thermostat, and the fan to replace my old alba system with a new alba one.
pain in the a$$

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just dont mess up the radiator its $400 I know :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts