Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
That would mean its a venting issue. It's just a guess, but if the tank isn't venting properly its like having your finger on a straw. The fuel won't flow easily to the carb and it will eventually die.

Maybe it will be something easy like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
It's either fuel or fire. Try the gas cap or install one of those clear inline fuel filters so you can see if you're fuel supply is being cut once it gets hot.

·
Registered
498 Posts
also if you leave it in the sun and the tank isnt venting you will fill the case up with gas, which is bad for the bearings

·
Registered
242 Posts
Also, if you have a stock petcock, try running it on PRI (prime) and see if it still quits. The stock petcock is operated by engine vacuum and they are known for failing. When it's on prime it kind of bypasses the vacuum that is required on ON and RES.

If that fixes it, look at upgrading to a Raptor 660 petcock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine would do this, started up just fine but after a half hour of riding it start to cut out and bog down. It had to do with the carb. The float would get stuck, and it wouldn't really drain out of the bottom it would just flood the bike. Different carb and its been running ever since.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
CDI getting hot?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm gonna bump this thread so I don't have to make a new one.

OP, did you find out what the issue was? Mine is doing the exact same thing it seems like. Runs awesome for a few minutes and then starts to bog and eventually dies. I can start it with choke, but when I turn choke off she won't run. If I let it sits 3-4 minutes it will fire up and run great until it does it again. Only when it gets good and warm it seems.

Btw, today I let it sit for a few mins until it started again. I tore ass through the field through all 5 gears and then it started to bog and died again, cranked back up though after letting it sit.

Any ideas fellas?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
gas cap vetting

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay, from what I've gathered, my gas cap is venting properly. Here's something I did find though, our gas petcocks have 2 gas tubes right? Well, the one on the right side of it has been blocked with a bolt for some reason. What could that be from? If that's not it the only thing I can think of now is the carb needs cleaning as it the bike is now dying on deceleration. Whether the petcock position is on PRI or RUN makes no difference either.

It always fires back up though.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
that would be your vacuum line. since that is blocked then make sure the inlet for the vacuum line on the carb is blocked too. Go pick up a rappy petcock! good investment for 20 bucks

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
you say the cap is venting . is that with the vent hose stuck into the dash ?

thats the way mine failed to work. if i left the hose dangel then it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I never even used the vent hose on my gas cap.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Agreed on the Raptor petcock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you say the cap is venting . is that with the vent hose stuck into the dash ?

thats the way mine failed to work. if i left the hose dangel then it worked fine.
that's weird. i never took my hose loose though. i'll try that too i guess. i will also check to see if the carb vac inlet is block as well.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
If it isnt, what i did is i drilled and taped the inlet for a 5-40 socket head cap screw. screw it in and bingo, no air. and its not like you cant go back to the vacuum set up either, you can just pull the screw out and pug the line back in to the stock petcock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts