Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that on models between 2003-2009 there is a bolt on the side of the engine but on 2010 upwards there isn't a bolt?

Reason I ask is mine is a ltz400 2006 that the previous previous owner had converted to injection but the engine also doesn't have a bolt? So I think its had an engine change too?

Just wondered what the difference was apart from the bolt on older/newer engines?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
I think the change is after 2008. The newer motor has a different cylinder head, not sure of any other changes.

Reactions: D4LE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Does this mean that the valve clearance specs would be different between the 2? I have adjusted mine within the specs of the older engine & now it will only run for so long before cutting out as if it's starved of fuel? It will start straight back up again but only for a short time & then cut out again. Runs a lot better with the petcock on prime but I know the injection model doesn't have a petcock on the fuel tank?

I can find a lot of information about the older model online but nothing on the newer LTZ.

2006 specs I've found are - IN: 0.10 – 0.20 mm, EX: 0.20 – 0.30 mm

Would anyone know if the specs are the same on later engine?

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
Unless you are pulling vacuum from the the fuel injector body to the petcock you will have to run it on prime, since that controls fuel flow. Prime bypasses that system.
Don't have the exact specs, but identical motor with the same valve train should be the same. They are looking for clearance in a hot motor. That should do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless you are pulling vacuum from the the fuel injector body to the petcock you will have to run it on prime, since that controls fuel flow. Prime bypasses that system.
Don't have the exact specs, but identical motor with the same valve train should be the same. They are looking for clearance in a hot motor. That should do it.
That is correct without the vacuum from a carburetor that petcock will not let fuel come through the petcock. Just switch that petcock out for a Raptor petcock and your problem will be solved. The vacuum petcocks have been nothing but problems almost from the beginning, just get rid of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
That is correct without the vacuum from a carburetor that petcock will not let fuel come through the petcock. Just switch that petcock out for a Raptor petcock and your problem will be solved. The vacuum petcocks have been nothing but problems almost from the beginning, just get rid of it.
And get a genuine Yamaha petcock, not a chinese knockoff..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts