Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got finished rebuilding my quad from the ground up. The start of some of my problems is keeping the bike at idle.I can get it to fire and run but am noticing a couple things, but dont know where to start to fix the problems........I notice the headpipe is getting hot very quickly within a minuet and also smoking where the tail pipe and header connect. (could be the clamp) I also dont run it any longer then i have to.......Afraid to cause anymore problems..... I also seen a small very small amount of coolant leaking from the water pump cover yesterday...but was fine today, The water pump cover was getting to hot also within a minuet.. It seems to have a smell when its running. I dont know where to start....radiator, water pump, fuel issue? any ideas where you would start, i just sunk alot of money into this build so im hoping to find an easy fix but thats never the case lol any ideas where you would start.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well make sure you have anything related to your radiator/coolant system bolted down tight, your gaskets could be bad. Coolant or oil could be leaking into the head and burning with the gas which would cause the smoking. If your exhaust smells kinda sweet or the smoke is blue ish, you could have a leak in a gasket.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
what did you do for your rebuild? im assuming atleast a new top end, so this would be your break in period. from what ive read, when you break it in, its a good idea to run it a little rich. if your lean your going to make everything heat up that much more. also when you break everything in its going to heat up quick anyways.

as for your coolant thing, make sure you have everything torqued down to spec and keep an eye on everything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the motor wasnt rebuilt.....i was just looked at b4 i tore the rest down....but i also didnt ride it much b4 i tore it down either

·
Registered
962 Posts
My z was leaking out the top end gaskets the other day, and it smelled sweetish. So I took the valve cover off and retorqued the 2 bolts in there and and every other bolt on the top end. It doesn't leak anymore or have that smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts