Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^^ is exactly what i need. I can't keep a battery in my Lakers or my newly aquired maier plastics. I plan on making an aluminum skeleton for the outside of my box that attaches to my frame.

What have you done to your battery box to beef it up? or am i the only one? im running the cbr/raptor battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
I just used a bolt, cut the head off to make studs that stick out. Then just flip the bracket upside down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I lost my battery my last mx race. I took the stock plastic box and cut it out of the plastic till I had just a box around the battery. I went to home depot and got this list.
1. 1/8 flat bar stock zinc coated.
2. roll of 16 ga wire
3. male / female 16 ga butt connectors.
3. 3 ft of red 6 ga wire
4. 3 ft of black 6 ga wire.
5. 6 ga connectors to attach to the starter/engine ground and battery terminals.
3. m6x1.0 bolts x 8
4. 3/4" electrical conduit clamps x 2

I cut the flat stock to two 7 1/2" lengths. I placed them on the frame where the front brake spliter is. Look there and you'll see to holes on the crossmember there. I marked the cut flat stock with a sharpie after placing them from there to the front crossmember. Drilled and tapped those holes for m6x1.0.

Loosely installed two m6 bolts through the holes to hold the flat stock in place. Marked the other end of the flat stock where I was going to drill and tap holes for the conduit clamps to go. They will mount on the bottom of the flat stock and clamp on to the front of the frame. Then drill and tap for two more m6 bolts.

Once the flat stock was mounted I moved to drilling the holes through the battery box and flat stock to mount the box.

I drilled into both and tapped the holes in the flat stock for the remaining m6 bolts. I used fender washers inside the box so that it would distribute the load on the plastic.

For the wiring I moved the starter solenoid up to the headlight mount. I just cut the harness and spliced in the 16ga wires to extend it to the front just matching the colors. Then sealed it in electrical tape and zip tied it to the left frame rail so it wouldn't be close the exhaust heat. I then took the 6ga and made the wires from the solenoid to the starter and from the engine to the negative battery terminal.

To hold the battery in I use a rubber strap. No issues with it so far. I admit it's not pretty as some (camaro) but it works and it takes minimal fabrication if you don't have access to sheetmetal tools.











 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top