Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I made a yfz LEFT front caliper fit on the rear. Provides better braking for the big heavy tires like my holeshot HDs.
I would Rate this a 5 on 1-10 difficulty scale. If you can weld and have some sense of fab skills it's pretty easy. I didn't take as many pics as I should have but you will get the point.

since the yfz mounting holes are a little closer and won't bolt directly up I had to do some cutting and welding.

I started by using an awl and made a scratch on the oem caliper braket right behind the front bolt.

I then bolted the yfz caliper and bracket on the BACK mounting bolt, stuck a screw driver in between the front caliper and rotor so it would clear the rotor without rubbing. And once again used the awl to put a scratch on it (it's basically right on the front mounting hole on the OEM yfz bracket)

I used a skill saw with a metal cutting blade and cut right on the lines of both of then. I then grinded them smooth and beveled the edges slightly so I could make a bigger bead.

Take the small piece that was cut off the stock bracket and bolt it on and then bolt on the yfz caliper that has been cut as well. I lined them up to where I wanted the caliper and made a mark on each. And then got the welder out and made sparks.....grinded the weld down to make it purty and wouldn't rub the brake rotor and BOOM better brakes.

If you want better rear brakes and don't have a welder or a buddy that welds then I could possibly do it for you for 20$ plus shipping. Enjoy guys and any questions lemme know.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is exactly what I did. It works awesome!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little update.

Went for a good ride yesterday and this rear brake setup is insane. Works awesome and stops my HDs with ease. Doesn't fade out like the stock rear brake. A braided line would make this even better which is on the near future for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quick lesson in physics. For all those people contemplating this mod just look at your current back brakes. If they lock up already, then no need for these. Static friction is stronger than kinetic friction meaning when the tire is still spinning, you will stop faster than if they are locked up. I have 22'' razr 2 in the back and they lock up. I understand this setup will be nicer but you wont see the same benefits as if you were to switch out the front which are complete s***. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Suspension, brakes, and tires are what makes a vehicle, it's a very cheap mod if you can weld, the difference isnt quite as much of improvement as the front brake mod, but it is a big difference. but with the bigger surface area you don't have to have the pressure that you do with a smaller one. I'm confident this will save me from buying 2 or 3 sets of Rear brake pads a year.

The main reason I did it was because my caliper bushings were out and you can't buy a rebuild kit for it. I paid 35$ for the yfz caliper shipped with almost new pads on it. And it took an hour and a half and 3 beers to make it happen.

You should ride with these brakes, this baby really stops on a dime now. And just to be clear I wasn't referring as to locking up the rear end, which it does easier now. I meant it will slow them down faster without locking up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you still use the factory brake lines when you use the yfz front and rear calipers because I was going to order my brake lines tonight

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
smooth move.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This back brake is a left front yfz caliper. But yes with stock a arms and swingarm you can use the stock lines.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the front to put on the yfz calipers do you have to make brackets or do they just bolt up
Use the yfz btackets, bolt right up.....there's a thread on here how to do it. Have to cut or rove the inner rock guards.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think all years are the same. Not 100% sure

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to have a stock bracket and a yfz bracket......send me your stock bracket and yfz bracket and caliper, pay me 20$ and shipping for both ways and I will make you one.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little update as well......the pads still wear out just as fast as the stock. I ride in mud, water, and sand so brake pads and rear bearings don't last long on mine anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts