Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought another project 03 ltz 400 for $500 when I turn the key none of the dash lights or head lights work. The start button does nothing and when I touch the relay wires together it turns the motor over but not with the start button? I noticed my spark plug seems to be stripped on the head it won’t tighten down at all would that cause all these problems? I put a working cdi, coil, relay, battery, regulator all from my running 03 ltz 400 so I know all that’s good

·
Super Moderator
4,502 Posts
Probably a corroded kill switch or possibly a bad neutral switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I touch the relay wires together it turns the starter and motor over even with the key off like it’s bypassing everything. I had my buddy pull me with his can am and it’ll pop start but dies as soon as he stops pulling me

·
Super Moderator
4,502 Posts
If the spark plug hole is stripped, you’ll lose compression.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it she has compression cause it blew the spark plug 6 foot into the air when I touched the relay wires together that’s how I found out the head was stripped. And I have spark I think jet is right about it being the kill switch cause when I was trying to pop start it I turned the kill switch on and off while doing it and it didn’t make a difference

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the starter is good I know the battery is good I know the cdi is good I know the coil is good I know the relay is good. The only things I haven’t tested are the kill switch and the stator and the neutral switch all the wires in the harness look good there’s no cut wires or exposed wires. It looks like it has a aftermarket ignition cause my other 03 ltz key says Suzuki and this one looks brand new and doesn’t say anything like it’s aftermarket

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy I bought it from said it sat for a year in a storage unit he went out this year to start it and he had the results I’m having so he sold it to me. And I can tell it’s been sitting chain is rusty the bowl on the carb is rusty the spark plug was rusted

·
Super Moderator
4,502 Posts
What I mean is the spark plug has to be tight or all of your compression blows by the spark plug. The threads are part of the head, so that will need to be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I bought another project 03 ltz 400 for $500 when I turn the key none of the dash lights or head lights work. The start button does nothing and when I touch the relay wires together it turns the motor over but not with the start button? I noticed my spark plug seems to be stripped on the head it won’t tighten down at all would that cause all these problems? I put a working cdi, coil, relay, battery, regulator all from my running 03 ltz 400 so I know all that’s good
Did u try replacing the key switch ...I've gone thru a few on both of my ltz 400s...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did u try replacing the key switch ...I've gone thru a few on both of my ltz 400s...
Yeah I was thinking that cause it has a aftermarket one on it now but I ordered a oem kill switch ignition and a cylinder head cause my spark plug in the head was stripped just waiting on them to come Hoping for the best lol thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts