Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm working on a Buddies quad again. It was running perfect, has been to the dunes twice this season. He washed the bike a few days ago, after washing he took it down the street, said it was running great like normal, until he pulled back up to the house, when he went to add throttle to pull in the garage, and it stalled out. He thought that was strange because he didn't do anything that would normally make your machine stall. It started right back up, but as soon as he hit the throttle it would die again. So this is where I'm at. The bike starts and idles. It doesn't idle quite as smooth as it normally does, but will sit there and idle, with a slight miss or bog just sitting there. If you try to add any throttle it dies out. I cleaned the carb, checked the spark plug, and it looks great. Replaced the petcock, and still doing the same thing. I told him I think it could be the cdi, so he has one on order. I'm thinking either cdi, or possibly the timing chain tensioner could be bad. Anybody had this issue, and know what it took to get it fixed, or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can can see if the tensioner is all the way in but simce he washed it, it might also have gotten water somewhere in the connection, check all of them. Maybe he got water in the stator?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can can see if the tensioner is all the way in but simce he washed it, it might also have gotten water somewhere in the connection, check all of them. Maybe he got water in the stator?
Yeah I was thinking about the stator as well, but dont think it should have gotten wet, its never been removed since stock I'm hoping it has a good seal, and wiring is all good. Yeah I think I'll check the tensioner later today and make sure it's working properly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tensioner is not causing your problem, I would start by checking all connections, What petcock did you use? Is flue flowing freely? It can get expensive just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tensioner is not causing your problem, I would start by checking all connections, What petcock did you use? Is flue flowing freely? It can get expensive just throwing parts at it.
I understand what you're saying. It's a grizzly 660 petcock actually, I didn't think the stock one was the problem, but my old man had a similar issue with his, and his problem was the stock petcock was all corroded and clogged up. Fuel was flowing from the stock one on this machine so I pretty much knew it wasn't that, but I did it anyways because my old man wanted me to try it, and already had one. Fuel flowed freely through both, and the stock one will likely go back on. The stock petcock on this machine was not all clogged up like the one on my Dads machine was. I looked over connections and even tried some di electric grease at the cdi connection. I've read how others have had plenty of issues with the cdi on these and I'm hoping it will fix it. Why do you say so confidently that it's not the tensioner? I've also read about lots of them failing on these machines as well. The bike will start, and idle, however not as smoothly as it normally did, but as soon as you move the throttle it will stall out. Seems like a timing issue to me. Cleaning the carb didn't help at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Take tensioner out and check it, The chain would have to be really loose and skipping and it would stop running all together, Plus you would hear it at idle. it could have skipped a tooth, Check timing, if it did Then replace the chain and re time. Tensioner itself is probably fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went out the other night and started it up. The damn thing runs perfect now. I'm thinking the cdi or stator connection got wet. A week and a half after washing it it runs perfectly fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would clean and Use electric grease on the connectors.

Reactions: amcf18
1 - 8 of 8 Posts