Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just starting a build thread of my (new to me) z400. I traded some work for it from a friend and picked it up last Sunday. Been out quad riding the last 5 years. Old quads were 03 kfx504cc stroker with goodies then an 08 kfx450r.

This build will be mild and I will NOT spend the money like I did on my first 400. (????maybe???)

Plans for now, Just ride it

During winter, swap over PC subframe and PC front hubs (remnants of my first)

Its an 04, so some major maintenance and refreshing will need to be done.

Here it is:

My old quads: kfx400: It sits here just an 450cc and Used elka shocks, next step with adding stroker, webcams, New dune edition Elka shocks. I might try and find my old thread here on the forums. Dont have any more pics since my last computer HD died

kfx450R

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
You have a nice starting point with the one you picked up. Is it the LE or just have black plastics? No red frame like the LE usually has.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just black plastics. I still have my green ones too.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
They look clean. hard to tell, are they aftermarket plastics or oem?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
the plastics are either newer 07+ OEM takeoffs or aftermarket... the 04 special edition Z had black plastics in the front and yellow in the rear

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are aftermarket. Where they come together at the tank is not a smooth transition like stock ones do. Its more like afold

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inspected more of the quad. Has pro design filter adapter, Looks to be a yoshi slip on since it says "team Yoshi" and looks to be running the quiet core in exhaust. Alba elite nerfs and IMS front bumper. Trail tec bars with aftermarket mount. Overall its in good shape. Just need some tweeks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was going to change out my rear sub frame. Not going to happen. I forgot what all the differences are between the '03 and '04 frames. It would cost me close to 100 bucks to make it work. Mise well powder coat or paint the '04

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
picked up a couple of items. alba case saver and brake block off. New valve/ stem for gas cap.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Glad to see you're making progress, I get to start fresh with a stock yfz now, yay...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little update

Was able to pick up USED parts for my old sub '03 sub frame to be put on the '04.

Also installed the 13 tooth front sprocket .

There's really not much of a part selections or support for the older z's like there used to be when they came out. Even the site sponsors are slacking
Larry

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
Wow! Missed this thread. Picture 5 on the original post has one of the elusive "Pulse Charger" exhausts on it.
I was looking at that and almost posted the question to ask what it was.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Missed this thread. Picture 5 on the original post has one of the elusive "Pulse Charger" exhausts on it.
I was one of the first ones to get one. sounded real nice too. I ended up putting the full yoshi back on when i stroked the motor. Sold it for about what I paid for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replacing my rear brakes and rotor. Taking stock rotor off was easy by removing tire, removing caliper, remove four allen bolts. Then rotate rotor over mounting tabs and over rear hub. BUT now my new rotor doesnt have the clearance to reverse the procedure. Soooo got to remove the complete axle and of course I dont have any wrenches big enough to remove the nuts. Off to find some

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What won't it fit over sprocket or wheel hub? My Streamline and stocker both slid over in that same manner. Tusk sells an axle wrench for around $50 I think, before I knew this I went out and bought a gigantic crescent/box wrench 46 or 47 mm whatever it is, not cheap, you could prob get them off with a big pipe wrench but I chewed up the nuts pretty good with it. Good luck

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
same here, I chewed the hell out of mine an then got tired of buying new ones so I bought the tusk wrenchs.

46mm I got two for cheap, One could make a set if they had flat steel and some angle grinder possibly.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
left old, new right. new one doesnt have that clover look. wont slip over. the manual says to remove whole axle. If I have to do that, I mise well replace the bearings and seals. 10 yr quad. Probably needs it

1 - 20 of 110 Posts