Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quad is a 2005 with a 440 bbk and hot cams. Not sure if it has in. and ex. or just the in. cam.

I'm pretty sure my head gasket is blown. My oil is milky and my radiator is almost empty and has tons of extra pressure in it. Plus I have seen white smoke (little bit here and there) from the exhaust.

I've been reading a lot and see people are using a drze base gasket. Can I use this gasket with my cams with no problem? In other words would this be a "drop in" upgrade or will I have to worry about piston to valve clearance? I see lots of people using this combo I just need to know if its a "drop in" type mod.

Will it hurt anything to remove the piston from the jug and then reinstall it? Im not wanting to replace rings or hone it out.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah it's a drop in mod.. All it is, is a thinner gasket that goes between the cylinder and the bottom end which allows the piston to move closer to the head when firing, making the compression higher.. Depending on what compression piston you are running now it could make you have to run race fuel. You really shouldn't have to worry about valve clearances since the piston is only going to be moving maybe 1 or 2mm closer to the valves but if you do it, I would turn the engine over by hand at the flywheel to make sure nothing hits..
Yeah, I think you can take out the piston and reinstall it without any problems.. Just make sure that your piston rings can spin freely and that the piston is in good shape. Put some oil on the cylinder wall and the rings when you go to reinstall

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
You can also slide the cylinder up the piston enough to get at the circlips and remove the piston with it still in the jug. I was unsuccesful at doing this but I know it can be done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..

Just wasn't sure how tight the clearances where. And I've never removed pistons so wasn't sure about re using rings.
I do all the work on mine and my friends GSXR so this will be no problem for me now that have this info.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can also slide the cylinder up the piston enough to get at the circlips and remove the piston with it still in the jug. I was unsuccesful at doing this but I know it can be done.
This is how I do it, this way the rings stay in the same spot in the piston

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since you have a 2005 did you ever have the clutch cover replaced?

I just got it a few weeks ago. This it my first quad. The reason Im pretty sure its head gasket is due to all the extra pressure in the rad and if you let it run with cap off it will bubble. Is there a way to find out if the cover was changed? Is this a recall?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
There is a recall on the 05's, the cover corrodes and water begins to mix with oil. Could cause some pretty serious problems if not taken care of. You can call the dealer, and give them your vin. They should be able to tell you if it's been done or not. If it hasn't, they'll do it for no charge.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So it is ok to re use rings after the piston is removed from it's bore? I've always been told to remove the pin as said or replace the rings if you pull the piston out? Am I wrong? I know a lot of people don't but, I'd also change the c-clips.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
So it is ok to re use rings after the piston is removed from it's bore? I've always been told to remove the pin as said or replace the rings if you pull the piston out? Am I wrong? I know a lot of people don't but, I'd also change the c-clips.
If you've got it out and you can wait for rings, it's a good idea. It's not absolutely necessary, but good practice. When I changed my base basket, I used the same rings, just made sure they went back the same way they came out. Runs strong and problem free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts