Suzuki Central Forum banner

Few general ?'s about my new to me Z!

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  AdrenalineJunky 
#1 ·
1. I took out the bent steering stem. No bearing from what I can see. Looked up schematics online and see there is supposed to be a bushing. Is the bushing what I see that is pressed into frame or does it slide over the bottom of stem and then into the opening in frame. I ask because there was nothing else when I took out. There was the bottom nut, washer, and 2 rubber seals. No o-ring in middle like schematics shows either. Dunno if someone been in here before and missed a couple parts.

2. On schematics it says brake switch assembly I believe. Right above the brake pedal there is something with a piece of metal sticking out. It is supposed to have a spring coming down from it which I am missing. What is the function of this?

3. Is there any differences through the years as far as parts interchangeability or any improvements made through the years. I have been a Yamaha guy up to now. I do know they are DOHC engines and use buckets for adjusting valves.

#3 ·
the thing above the brake pedal is the brake light switch, as far a part compatibility, shocks got better in 05 and are interchangeable and every thing else is the same except the electronics from 03-08 as far as i know

#5 ·
Look real close around the shifter shaft for cracks. If a drive chain brakes on these things it seems to wad up right there and break things.......
There should be a spring for the brake pedal contactor. I can get you a pic of the assembly later on (when I get home from work:rolleyes:) if you need.

#6 ·
Steering bushing: Took better look at it. Comes up from underneat correct?
Brake light. Makes sense. First I need to get a taillight on it as it's MIA! I need to get a spring as it's MIA also.
Shift shaft. I'll check for cracks. It does have a little play in it. As far as replacing the seal though. Replace without getting into cases and having to pull the shaft?

#10 ·
Also: I seen where the case had been cracked at some point. The chain had ate a groove in the corner of swingarm also. Probably because one of the adjustment bolts was missing and it was sitting at an angle. Someone had welded bottom of case but looks like there is a hairling that might be coming out of or it's coming from shift shaft seal and running down. When I get done she's gonna be like new!! Debating on color scheme.

#12 ·
Yep, that was part of the damage when this quad was wrecked by the PO.
It goes with the mangled front wheel, the bent a-arm, the f-d up rear plastics....I posted about it after I bought it. The guy was a total jackhole and lied about a bunch of stuff.
That said, I still got a decent deal....

#13 ·
Haha tell me about it, Saturday I went to go check out a LTR and all he said was it needed a starter clutch installed. When i got there there was oil in the air box, which he said was from over filling it because it was his first oil change on the LTR (understandable, he was a TRX guy), right front wheel bearing was shot. After idling for a little it would bog then shut off, Could only pop start it since starter clutch was shot, no choke cable, rear fender bracket snapped. Rear tire was flat, and a lot of plug sin the tires. To him it was "All tight".

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.