Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have7 hrs on my new Z and I was wondering when I should change oil for the first time? The first service isnt for a month. That seems a little long for the break in oil to be in there. Also my rear brakes are squeallin and driving me nuts, will suzuki fix this under warranty or should I get and aftermarket rotor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I changed my oil when it was about 7hrs... It doesn't hurt.
Be sure that when you change the oil that the rubber washer doesn't come out with the old filter, I didn't know exactly what this was until I read the service manual. (past threads talk about this) I drained the reservoir and the case, I think I put about 2.6 or 2.8 quarts back in. The oil level is at the top of the fill mark on the reservoirs dipstick. If you drain the case be sure to put oil back into the case before you start the thing up, it doesn't take too much and is painless... (owners manual mentions that if you don't start it for a period of time to check the crankcase to be sure that it has enough oil for startup.) I used a tall gear-lube type of container with a tapered spout that held 1 quart, at the end of this I had the small conical tip and was able to use it for both the crankcase and reservoir by squeezing the bottle.

If you want you can buy new rubber o-rings with the filter when you goto the dealership. One O-ring goes in between the case and oil filter, the other goes on the oil filter cover. Make sure that the end of the filter with the hole in it goes towards the case side and not the cover side, and also make sure that the spring is on the cover half when you assemble it back together.

I have about 9 hours on it now and still on the second tank of gas, when I hit the fourth tank i'll change the oil again. (also bought at hourmeter recently to keep a more accurate track of time for maintenance)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want to put an hour meter on also.

Could you let me know were you got your hour meter. How did you install the meter and what wires did you tie into (location and color).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought it at a boating store, pricey at $45. It's small and rectangular, I didn't like the round ones. West Marine and BoatUS both have them and I think mine is made by Teleflex, Harbor freight might carry something similiar for less cash. It's quartz motion and can't reset the time once you wire it up, pretty much sealed and will continue to turn as long as you have power going to it.

I haven't installed it yet but it needs to get it's power from a keyed source, I haven't even decided on where to mount it yet either...

·
Registered
848 Posts
get a transmission funnel or your gonna make a mess!!!

o-ring and oil filter cost me 12 bucks from the local dealer!!!

where is everyone getting theirs from???

A

·
0 Posts
Hour meter /tachometer combo

Could you let me know were you got your hour meter.  How did you install the meter and what wires did you tie into (location and color).

Thanks  :p[/b]
I just bought this one after I spent alot of time poking around the internet for what I wanted and best price. I wanted one with a tach.. most have the tach but only go up to say 6,000rpm....This one has a tach that goes up to and over 10,000 rpm and and hour meter and can be moved easily from machine to machine if you want as it has a quick attach clip (clips to spark plug wire) Actual device/unit is small and you can fasten to bike with velcro, sticky tape. I think I will be putting my unit in the aixbox facing up where I can see it when I check filter. The unit is sealed at the factory and waterproof/shock proof. I think I will will mount with industrial strength velcro so it has a little give to it and so I can remove/put back easily. I actually spoke with the old guy in California that designed this one. For company info on this one go to http://www.autonnicresearch.com/index.htm . They will sell you one for $59.00 plus about $6.00 shipping. Again, I spoke with owner/designer there and he mentioned Mayberrys buys hundreds from him each month and they buy by volume and sell for less $. Go to Mayberrys http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/generator/h...l/hourmeter.htm
and get one there for $55.00 which includes postage. By the way, next week when I get mine I will report back here and let you know how decent the gadget is.

·
Registered
993 Posts
TrailTech Computer

For a few extra dollars, you get a lot of extra feature with the Trail Tech Computer. Including odometer, mph, top speed, avg speed, trip time, accumulated ride time (engine hours when moving, not idling time), programmable maintenance reminders, light, etc. Visit Rocky Mountain ATV on the web.

Out!

A

·
0 Posts
Re: TrailTech Computer

For a few extra dollars, you get a lot of extra feature with the Trail Tech Computer. Including odometer, mph, top speed, avg speed, trip time, accumulated ride time (engine hours when moving, not idling time), programmable maintenance reminders, light, etc. Visit Rocky Mountain ATV on the web.

Out![/b]
Agreed, I have seen the Trail Tech Computer listed at Rocky Mountain and elsewhere. Goes for about $90 to include shipping. Install I would think is abit more complex then just clipping a clip on a spark plug wire. Yes, a good offering but I wanted something moved easily from bike to bike, easy to install and a tach that could be moved from one bike to another easy when doing idle adjustments. As to whether the unit I mentioned is sophisticated enough to be used for idle adjustments I am not sure of yet. My guess is it will. Another point here is I really don't want that type of guages.. speedo, etc on my handlebars. Indeed a good product offering you mentioned for someone that wants such reading, etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts