Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heard of flipping the front wheels around to make it wider. how much wider would it actually make it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dumb move, save some coin and get ext arms.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, just curious, if you buy ext a-arms do they move the whole to where the shock will fit, or do you have to buy new shocks to fit the longer arms?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump steer?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bumps in the ground will change your steering.
Like "bumping" the wheels from side to side

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh....don't understand how simply flipping the wheels would do that, but ok, i'll trust ya......

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, just curious, if you buy ext a-arms do they move the whole to where the shock will fit, or do you have to buy new shocks to fit the longer arms?[/b]
somebody has to know

·
Registered
503 Posts
It depends on what kind of A-arms you buy. Most A-arms that are available will allow the use of the stock shocks. The ones that require an aftermarket shock will usually specify that it needs them.

A

·
0 Posts
I have researched this farther....if you use smaller tires up front...the bumpsteer is not that bad.

You can take the valvestem out...put it in backwards....then drill a hole on the other side of the rim...opposite side...then insert a 2nd valvestem pointing out. Then flip them...no problems from what I heard from a local MX racer...but he does use SMALLER tires up front...and hhas ectended A-Arms also.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
DT - very true. Flipping the wheels changes the geometry of the front end. As stock, the geometry is designed to allow for minimal bump steer. If you go and change that geometry, the bump steer will increase. Making the wheels smaller along with flipping them changes the geometry back closer to stock.

·
Registered
715 Posts
ok, just curious, if you buy ext a-arms do they move the whole to where the shock will fit, or do you have to buy new shocks to fit the longer arms?[/b]
somebody has to know[/b][/quote]

The stock shocs will bolt up, but the valving and spring will be wrong for the extra leverage put on them from the added length of the a-arm

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not only will it give it extra “Bump steer” but it is not applicable due to valve stem clearances, the brake caliper will knock it off. Bump steer would be the extra leverage that the extended wheel would apply to the steering stem

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not only will it give it extra “Bump steer”  but it is not applicable due to valve stem clearances, the brake caliper will knock it off.  [/b]
got that one covered already though, turn the original valve stem inside-out, drill a new whole, but new vavle stem on opposite side

A

·
0 Posts
Paul Hart od Champlain, NY says his did NOT increase bump steer at all. He is running smaller front tires on a totally tricked out MX CT310 250R.

He races MX and has been for years.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You can buy a set of wheel spacers for 60.00 if you want it wider for cheap.
durablue makes them. I don't know if I'd recomend doing either though.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can buy a set of wheel spacers for 60.00 if you want it wider for cheap.
durablue makes them. I don't know if I'd recomend doing either though.[/b]
not sure exactly how durable they are, but I wouldn't trust them with some of the jumping I do, and especially at the MX track, and that is the real reason I'm interested in widening the Z anyway

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You will not notice that much bump steer. I have done this for years on my quads. If I were racing MX hitting whoops at 30MPH, I would not do it. But, for normal riding,you will be OK. Your shocks will bottom out a little faster,not much. If you weigh less than 175, you will be ok.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You will not notice that much bump steer. I have done this for years on my quads. If I were racing MX hitting whoops at 30MPH, I would not do it. But, for normal riding,you will be OK. Your shocks will bottom out a little faster,not much. If you weigh less than 175, you will be ok.[/b]
well, the main reason I wanted to do it was for MX, so if you say it's not good for MX then I wouldn't really be very interested in it

1 - 20 of 53 Posts