Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KFX 400, Changed the starter clutch/one way bearing, who ever did it before me messed up the threads on the crank. I was a bit nervous to tighten it to much so I did it by feel and after 30 min of run time it sheared the flywheel key off. I replaced the key ran a thread restore over the threads and got a new nut. I put locktite and torqued it to 50 LBS this time ( Spec is 80 something ). Do you think this will be okay? I was nervous about going much further and stripping the crank.

·
Administrator
7,887 Posts
I'm afraid it's going to sheer again. Did everything still feel good at 50 lbs? It's a hard thing to explain, but you can often feel how much torque it's adding per how far you move the torque wrench. If that hasn't fallen off, I'd keep going till you're a little closer to spec. The crankshaft is harder than the nut also, so they can sustain some damage, and still do the job, usually. If anything will let go, it should be the nut.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try, I just got nervous as I really don't feel like splitting the cases. I picked this quad up for my son, It was super clean but I have come across a few of these hidden issues, at this point I know I over paid and I am a bit annoyed that the person did what he did.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to 75 and it held and I left it there, I am hoping this should be okay, Not much less then spec, I may have been able to go the rest of the way but I didn't want to push it any more.

Reactions: amcf18

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
75 Sound pretty safe?

·
Registered
308 Posts
yea , 75 should hold just fine,

Reactions: JOE G
1 - 7 of 7 Posts