Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friendsd ltz 400 2008 , the fan wasnt on , temp light went on, and some of the coolant flew from resavier coolant overflow tank, now the coolant is foaming and the oil dipstick is filled way over the line(water went in?), i removed all the oil and it looked fine (not milky) , i removed the head as well , tested it with filler guage as the manual said and its in good shape, the gasket does not look like it blown or something, could it be anything else then the head gasket??

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
If the oil isn’t milky, then it doesn’t have coolant in it. Just overfilled with oil.
What test did you do with a feeler gauge?

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
Could be from just boiling. Is it off-color? If you’re sure it got oil in the coolant, then it probably was a head gasket. Not reusable anyway. Need to see why the fan isn’t coming on.

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts

This test is misleading. You won't find a low spot that way.

The best way to find if it has a low spot, is to surface the head deck lightly, and look for any area that is untouched. Keep going until that untouched area is gone. There are multiple ways to do this. I have a thick plate of glass, which is flat, that I use spray adhesive, to stick a sheet of sand paper down on. Then I "lap" the head. Keep in mind that surface finish is touchy. I finish with 300 grit. I may use coarser paper prior to get the head flat, but then I always finish with the 300, or something close to that.

Almost every time I have been searching for a cause of head gasket trouble on these engines, I've found a low spot on the deck surface. I lap the head and cylinder every time, before assembling an engine, and since then, I've never had a head gasket issue.

Now, all that said, I agree that if the oil wasn't milky looking, it wasn't getting contaminated by coolant.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aight , the fan wasnt on couse 1 of the wiress got disconected,

and about the coolant, it was green when i pulled it out , a bit on the top of it was milky , and a bit white color foam , the oil looked like oil (black/brown) and most of the coolant seems clean, the when i pulled the head i saw some coolant on the head gasket , and on the top of the piston...

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts
how do i find low spot ? by eye? if i sand it with the glass n sand paper i whould see low spots?
Low spots show up as places that will still be untouched after a little lapping. These MLS gaskets used by every one of these type of engines do an amazing job of sealing, but they have very little tolerance for any low spots in the head or cylinder deck.

A word of caution, you should remove the intake valves before doing this, or you may end up ruining them, this won't work if the valves are hanging below the deck. It's best to just remove them.

I am not convinced that you had a head gasket leak at all, but this is how you make sure that you won't have one when you put it together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts