Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got off the phone with elka. The front shocks are 3/4 of an inch longer on the z400 than the 400ex. Which means the info I got from a large elka dealer here in the US was incorrect and I will have to buy new front shocks. Sucks because I just bought the elka fronts for my 400ex 6 months ago and thinking that I could use the fronts was a major deciding factor in me buying the KFX.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
all i could say is to sell the elkas on exriders.com and buy new ones

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
yea, just sell those, you should be able to get a lot for them since you haven't used them that much, have you?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Maybe you should have listened to me. I had the first set of shocks on my bike and stated that many times.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Maybe you should have listened to me.  I had the first set of shocks on my bike and stated that many times.[/b]
huh? what are you talking about? the first set of shocks? hope that post wasn't to me(since I'm the last one that posted...), cause if so I'm confused and you need to watch the smartass-ness...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
well i know 250r shocks will work on a z but you have to adjust the ride hight i was talking to the guy next to me he had 250r shocks on the z and put his stock suspension on the r

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Maybe you should have listened to me.  I had the first set of shocks on my bike and stated that many times.[/b]
Ah...but everyone seems to be in the dark on this one except me.

THEY WILL WORK!

I have a friend who bought a set of used ohlins off a 400ex owner and put them on his Z. If anything, it's only going to make you sit 3/4 of an inch lower in the front.

It's true that you will be altering the geometry of the shock/a-arms, but my friend said that he didn't have any problem with it.

Best bet...see if you can con a friend into letting you try it. Or tell the dealership you'll buy it if they install the shocks.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
yeah, i am gonna throw in my .02 on this.....

crazie, you arent the only one who see the light.... There are a couple of people repeating themselves that the 400ex shock will work on the z400. It amazes me people either have their head up their a$$ or still would ask the question and not bother researching the archives.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
yeah, i am gonna throw in my .02 on this.....

crazie, you arent the only one who see the light....   There are a couple of people repeating themselves that the 400ex shock will work on the z400.  It amazes me people either have their head up their a$$ or still would ask the question and not bother researching the archives.[/b]
or it's just easier to ask again, plus with asking again you can get newer, possibly different more accurate answers, just like science, hundreds of years ago they thought that the universe revolved around the earth, but now we know that it doesn't. in the same way, a month ago people might have thought it didn't work, and now somebody might have tried something a little different and made it work. that's why.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The comment was to the originator. I was being sarcastic because I have answered this question way too many times. You could make almost anything work if it bolts up, but it may not be right. The valving for the Z shocks are a little different along with a different stroke. Hell, I could probably get truck coil-overs to bolt on.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The comment was to the originator.  I was being sarcastic because I have answered this question way too many times.  You could make almost anything work if it bolts up, but it may not be right.  The valving for the Z shocks are a little different along with a different stroke.  Hell, I could probably get truck coil-overs to bolt on.[/b]
Okay WP, I didn't mean for that post to be rude, but after I read over it, it kind of sounded that way. So will 400ex shocks work on a Z400? :D
: j/p

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ya i wonder if they will work.I finnnly got to see wp's mods.In his sig man his z kicks but.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is, I wasn't asking WP. I was told by an elka dealer before I ever bought the KFX (and before I started visiting this forum), that the front shocks were the same so I never bothered to ask.
Crazy, I have $1500 invested in these shocks, I think I will go ahead and spend the $200 more to make the fronts fit. When you give up 3/4" of shock length it is like giving up 1.5" at the end of the arm. Zero preload elkas drop it 2" plus 1.5" for shocks being to short makes it too low. I've never searched this topic but I just wanted to let everyone know what I had run into.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just read this thread again and it is starting to rub me the wrong way. It is blatantly obvious from reading my original post that I was not asking if it would work. I didn't realize that I had to search the subject before I told everyone some usefull info that is, unlike much of the advise given here, correct and from the mouth of experts (elka). Yes the shocks will bolt up and look like they are meant to be there. That doesn't mean they will work like they are supposed to. I'm not using this bike to ride in some creek behind my house with no helmet on while drinking beer. This is a race bike and by racing standards 400ex front shocks are not compatible with z400 shocks, despite someones buddy not having a problem with it. Yeah i'm flaming but you guys are a little quick jump my case for asking because I wasn't asking.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If they told you they would work, I would go back and see what they can do for you. If they don't know, they should state that, not mislead you. Timmyboy screwed me over with my arms and I will never say a good thing about him again.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I just read this thread again and it is starting to rub me the wrong way.  It is blatantly obvious from reading my original post that I was not asking if it would work.  I didn't realize that I had to search the subject before I told everyone some usefull info that is, unlike much of the advise given here, correct and from the mouth of experts (elka).  Yes the shocks will bolt up and look like they are meant to be there.  That doesn't mean they will work like they are supposed to.  I'm not using this bike to ride in some creek behind my house with no helmet on while drinking beer.  This is a race bike and by racing standards 400ex front shocks are not compatible with z400 shocks, despite someones buddy not having a problem with it.  Yeah i'm flaming but you guys are a little quick jump my case for asking because I wasn't asking.[/b]
Ok, first off, I hope the little flaming isn't intended toward me. I used the big letters so that hopefully it would catch your attention...which it obviously did.

Second, my friend is no GNCC pro racer...but he does race, and I've ridden his quad. It handles much better than stock.

Third, you never said in your first post that you had zero preload shocks...I think most of us are aware that they sit you way lower. And I personally have no problem admitting that i was un-aware of the fact that by lowering the shock 3/4" that you would be lowering the quad by 1.5". Doesn't really make sense to me...but I'm new at this stuff so I still have much learning to do.

And about this thread rubbing you the wrong way, I'm sure it's unintended by most, if not all of us. Some people get tired of typing the same replies to things so they tell you to research.

Whether or not you intended to ask a question, you did...eventhough it's in the form of a statement. You didn't say anything other that the fact that elka told you it wouldn't work. So for most of us it seems that you're seeking advice, or asking for an opinion. I'm sure it wasn't intended to "rub you the wrong way". So before you start getting upset, remember that when you post something, most of the time you're doing so to get some sort of feeback....so that's naturally what is going to happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts