Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an 09 z400 which ive been running stock without an airbox lid. Recently i purchased a ct full system and installed it with the lid on to help from runing to lean. Needless to say it ran ok but when i took the lid off it ran super. So far its not lean popping or has no flat spotts anywhere in the powerband. I even took it for a ride at night to see if theheader was glowing. No glowing. So is it safe to say i can run it safely without a fuel controller? I will eventually get one but will it make a difference in performance and which controller does everyone recommend?
E

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to use cheaper unit like the dynatek or fmf or dobach controller. The pc5 costs twice as as these three.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well im a firm believer in the saying "you get what you pay for"

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a '09 which I have modified for Cross-country racing. I have been running the FMF without any issues. It's as good as any out there and controllers are a matter of preference.

The best way to "tune" any motor is to look at the spark plug color. It's the most accurate other than a dyno. (and any good dyno shop will look at the plug color as well)

I would really recommend putting a controller on asap. I don't understand why someone would modify the exhaust or intake systems for more power and not install larger jets or a controller (depending if carbed or FI'd) You are not taking advantage of the modifications without it. I don't mean to sound like a know it all but it's just good ole common sense.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a '09 which I have modified for Cross-country racing. I have been running the FMF without any issues. It's as good as any out there and controllers are a matter of preference.

The best way to "tune" any motor is to look at the spark plug color. It's the most accurate other than a dyno. (and any good dyno shop will look at the plug color as well)

I would really recommend putting a controller on asap. I don't understand why someone would modify the exhaust or intake systems for more power and not install larger jets or a controller (depending if carbed or FI'd) You are not taking advantage of the modifications without it. I don't mean to sound like a know it all but it's just good ole common sense.
Trust me, I know and have expereience jetting. My Honda 350x came stock with a 138 main jet and 38 pilot jet. After adding the 400ex carb, and porting the head, and adding the webcam, I had to end up around a 180 mainjet and 42 pilot.

But with the Z400 it's running twice as better then did with just the air lid off and the stock pipe as if it doesn't need more fuel? With my 350x, I had to keep upping the jets before it would even start. Like I said, there are no flat spots in the powerband, no lean pops, and the header isn't glowing cherry red as if it would be running lean. (All though it did start to blue a bit around t he head which is typically normal for new pipes). In time I will add the fuel controller but my salary won't be able to permit for another few weeks. I do like those units where you download maps from the internet like the pc5 and yosimura PIM2 but man, they're not cheap. But according to motorcycle-usa, they just used the dynatek controller still pumped out 40 rear wheel horsepower. Maybe if I call CT racing, they could possibly give me the serttings if I ever did order the dynatek controller?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Don't mean to sound naive, but how does the 09 monitor air? Map, Maf? Just curious, b/c on a car, a fuel injection setup will compensate itself for more air in/out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, thats what I thought, but if they sell fuel controlers maybe the fuel injection only has set parameters for temperture and elevation? I know it has a thottle position sensor and a sensor in the airbox. So I'm still new to this FI technology on quads. My GSXR has FI but it only has a slip on so remapping is unnessesary. I guess if there's any FI Z400 quad owners out there, what are your opinions?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I'd have to see how it's set up, does anyone have a diagram? Maybe it's just mapped to do one thing and one only, hence the reason for a tuner. I know on my old eclipse, I needed to fool the mass air sensor with a fuel controller for larger injectors/more boost.

Edit:

Just checked out the system, and it does have a MAP sensor, and an air temperature sensor. It's gotta have some sort of correction built in. Maybe the correction factor is very limited and the fuel controllers are to take care of that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so after taking it on a night ride, I found out after being on the throttle for a long time, the header will glow red about an inch and a half from the head.
I have two friends with built 450 race bikes that are profesionally built and jetted. Both there headers glow from the head just about down to to the silencer. The reason they claim they glow is because the exhaust makers use thinner metal to make the larger header pipes and the thinner metal heats up quicker then the stock factory headers. I am experiencing No backfires, no lean pops, no flat spots and no sputters anywhere in the powerband? It pulls extremely hard is an absolute blast to ride. It seems like the fuel injection is compensating for the extra flow?? I eventually will get a fuel mapper but in the mean time I don't feel as bad running it without one. Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Post a pic of the plug, get the best one you can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts