Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 z400 has been sitting for quiet some time. I started it up and it idles strong but when a load is placed on it and I accelerate quickly the quad sputters and feels like it hits a wall but then continues to accelerate. I have also noticed that when the quad is sitting still and idling if I shake the quad it shuts off.

I have replaced the fuel, cleaned the fuel lines, pulled the carburetor and thoroughly cleaned all the jets. Spark plug was also cleaned but the problem is still there.

Im thinking it must be an electrical issue but not sure how or where to start. Please help with any diagnostic ideas to get this quad running strong. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You know, Where the guy was complaining about his Z400 stalling out when you shake it.. Apparently his needle jet needed to be replaced. Try running with the petcock valve on the "prime" position. The other positions require engine vacuum to suck the fuel out of the tank which is fine for idle, but will pretty much starve your engine as the revs are increasing. If the "prime" position fixes your acceleration issue, there is a mod you can do to fix that entire problem by replacing the stock fuel valve with the one off a Yamaha Raptor 660 (doesn't require engine vacuum for fuel to flow out)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hows the float level? Can you see through all your jets?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atv4life: When I run in the "prime" position it does help but still hits the wall. When I drain the fuel in the prime position its flow freely so I feel like its an issue after the fuel line.

Spize: No it does not pop. When a load is placed and I accelerate hard it sputters and loses all power.

hughes: I cleaned all the jets and could see clearly through them. What do you mean by "hows the float level". I pulled the float bowl cover off and cleaned everything.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
the float is supposed to be at a specific height. im at work, so i dont have access to my manual. its right around a half inch i believe. if it is not set right it could be allowing the needle jet to be partially closed

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
+1 on the float level... typical symptom of shaking the quad and having an effect on running.

Mine is running poorly in rough terrain right now and I am almost dead sure it is from a huge flat landing from last time I rode. Im pretty sure it bent the float when I landed. I took a chunk out of the track when I hit :lol and the problem started right after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts