Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Athena big bore kit that came with three sets of gaskets. I found in a thread the following information. "the athena kit comes with the z400 3 layer base gasket, and the drz single layer base gasket. Use the drz one. It will give you a bump in compression."

Q: Is it true about using the drz single layer base gasket for recommended higher compression? Is this the gasket that goes between the case and the cylinder?

Q: When it comes to the other two sets of gaskets that are double layered and made up of different materials, do I place one of those gaskets in between the head and cylinder, or is it suggested to drill out the rivets and separate the gaskets and then place the gasket between the head and cylinder?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
The “base” gasket (between the case and cylinder) GIVES you higher compression by lowering the entire cylinder when using the single layer, which makes the combustion chamber smaller. If I’m not mistaken, most piston kits advertise their compression ratios using that single-layer gasket.

Don’t separate the actual head gasket, use it as it comes.

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
No problem. By the way, remember to gap your rings for the new cylinder. By “gap”, I mean filing them down on the ends so the ends have the required clearance to allow for heat expansion. They also need to be positioned so those gaps aren’t lined up with each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts