Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually saw this on EXriders but now I did it so I can tell you how good it works.
So my buddy and I are in the process of powdercoating and tearing apart our quads, his is a 2000 400ex and mine is listed below. He needs new axle bearings so with the carrier on the bench we try to see if we can beat them out, no luck. So since we are powdercoating we have an old kitchen oven in the garage for that so after seeing this tip on EXriders we try it. We heated up the whole carrier in the oven for about 15min. then pounded the bearings out no problem. Why you ask? The carrier is aluminum the bearings are steel, Alum. expands more then steel when heated therefore releasing the bearings from the carrier. We also did this on the front hubs and it worked equally as well. When we reinstall them we will place the bearings in the freezer for a little while and that should help them "drop" into place.
Now is it safe do this in a oven your mom/wife will be baking in later on that day? I don't know, but if you try it make sure as much of the dirt/grease is cleaned off.
:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A reinstalling update. When we went to install the bearings back in to the front hubs we placed the bearings in the freezer and left the hubs room temp. they still went in kinda hard so we put the hubs in the oven at about 200 degrees for a few minutes. the combination of having warm hubs and cold bearings made them go in quite easily this time. You still have to tap them and it is nice to have some large sockets that are about the same diameter as the bearing to tap them in with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts