Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Z a few weeks ago and am going to Glamis to check out 4 stroke wars. Im gonna go to 13 tooth front sprocket, I know i'll get more power out of it, but how much top speed will I lose? if any at all. Also does it really matter what brand of sprocket I use? :?:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You will probaly lose 7 or 8mph.

·
Registered
717 Posts
yeah there is a difference in quality with different spokets I would go with sidewinder they make the best sprokets in my opinion

·
Registered
970 Posts
Pimp is right, you might not lose any top speed. I could not hit the rev limiter in 5th before. Now I think I can. It might be at about the same MPH based on how things have gone so far on my tests.

If you drop a tooth, you're taking off about 8% of the top end, and gaining that in acceleration. Maybe 5-6 MPH tops. Raising the limiter to 11,000 is always possible too.

The effective change is from a 2.86 final drive to a 3.08.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the Trailtech speedometer. I still max out at the same top speed. It's a little strange cuz I get into 5th gear so fast. The engine runs higher rpm's at cruising speeds so its hard to get used to. I'm not sure I like it for open desert, but it's nice to have the lower 1st gear for rocks.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I have the 13/42 sprocket and matematically I should lose about 7-8 mph. But because we do not hit the rev limitor in fifth gear with stock sprocket, and with the new set of sprockets I do now hit the rev limitor. In speed comparison, I have only lost four mph according to my gps. I was doing 71-72, now its 67-68. Stock ratio is 2.86 and I am sitting at a 3.23 right now which is roughly 12% difference. It does rev out quciker thru the gears, but I am eatting so many more bikes and quads in holeshot that it isnt funny, is it worth it, hell yes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
THATS THE FIRST MOD I DID.I RIP UP OLDSMOBLE IN 3-4tH !! MUCH BETTER!! SEE YOU AT 4 STROKE WARS!!!
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts