Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Golden Spectro a good oil to use in the Z? Is there a better oil to run? If so what weight? I live in Virginia and the coldest we get is about 10 degrees. The hottest we could ever get is 100 degrees. Should I run 10w40 in the winter and switch to 10w50 in the summer or just run 10w50?

llknowlesll

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The coldest it gets here is usually just above 0 and the warmest is around 100 or just below...I use 10w-30 and 10w-40...To me oil is pretty much oil...I buy a case of oil at Sears when I need it...You should probably stick with 10w-40 and want ever oil you want to use. My uncle uses Yamalube becuase he thinks he NEEDS to use Yamalube...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Information about oils:
Motorcycles and ATV engines are abused more than a standard atuomotive engine. You have a smaller engine turning higher RPM's which causes a standard engine oil to foam and break down sooner. Therefore a good motorcycle oil contains anti-foaming additives which lubricates better. As far as a synthetic oil such as Golden Sprectro, In some engines it is too slippery and makes your clutch slip too much ( I ran into this problem with my XJ1000) but it will withstand higher tempertures (which causes oil to break down) and give you better lubrication properties. The best maintance you can do for your machine is to change your oil regular and change your oil filter every time. Why run clean oil through a dirty filter when a filter is less than $5. Oil & filter is cheaper than replacing a bearing that failed.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I like the suzuki oil. It what comes in the bike from the factory, so you can't go wrong. You want to stay with a non syn. oil 10-40 or 10-30. I also like silkolean

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
GS will work fine.. synth or not. Use synth after breakin.

I've used Mobil1 in every vehicle I've owned. Integra, Camry, 4-Runner, Tundra, Nighthawk, FJ1200, FZ1, Kodiak, 250R, and soon the Z.

For cars/trucks, 5w30 all the time.
For my MC, since summer only riding, always 15w50.
For ATVs, 15w50 in the summer, 5w30 in the winter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As long as you do not use the MOBILE 1 Tri-Synthetic for autos you will be O.K.... :D
Only use Mobile 1 designed for motorcycles... I ran full synthetic in my CBR929rr for 8k and changed the filter every 4k... My mech (personal friend/ engine builder) said any more than that and you are wasting your money...because synthetic just DOESN't break down like you think...-Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts