Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am sitting with a problem on my 04 ltz 400, when I put it in first gear, and release the clutch to pull away, it doesnt take and then all of a sudden when my clutch lever is like half way through release the bike moves/jumps unexpectedly, feels like something is biting or holding it back. It also makes a sound when it does move/jump. Could it be the clutch plates thats biting, or could it be my rear axle bearings thats causing it? Coz when the bike is in neutral and i get off to push the bike, the bike moves smoothly, that why im thinking it can only be my clutch plates thats causing this issue, it happens in reverse as well. I will test it again by pulling away in 2nd or 3rd also.
But if any1 else experienced this let me know please. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
Sounds like a strange one. I would jack it up and turn wheels by hand, forward and backward, to feel any roughness or catching. Pry up and down on the wheels as well, check for slop.
I cant imagine a clutch grabbing like that, but never say never..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a strange one. I would jack it up and turn wheels by hand, forward and backward, to feel any roughness or catching. Pry up and down on the wheels as well, check for slop.
I
[/QUO
Hi all

I am sitting with a problem on my 04 ltz 400, when I put it in first gear, and release the clutch to pull away, it doesnt take and then all of a sudden when my clutch lever is like half way through release the bike moves/jumps unexpectedly, feels like something is biting or holding it back. It also makes a sound when it does move/jump. Could it be the clutch plates thats biting, or could it be my rear axle bearings thats causing it? Coz when the bike is in neutral and i get off to push the bike, the bike moves smoothly, that why im thinking it can only be my clutch plates thats causing this issue, it happens in reverse as well. I will test it again by pulling away in 2nd or 3rd also.
But if any1 else experienced this let me know please. Thank you
I fugured out the issue! I serviced the bike so I drained the oil, the amount of oil that came out the reservoir and engine was just below 5L! So im assuming the person that did the service before me, just through oil in without measuring and also used the wrong oil probably! But now i put in 2.2 litres of oil, and the bike rides perfect now. But sitting with another issue, when i checked the oil now, it shows on the tip of the dipstick, so not sure if i throw in more, cause i know the recomended is 2.2 litres with oil filter change also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured out the issue! I serviced the bike so I drained the oil, the amount of oil that came out the reservoir and engine was just below 5L! So im assuming the person that did the service before me, just through oil in without measuring and also used the wrong oil probably! But now i put in 2.2 litres of oil, and the bike rides perfect now. But sitting with another issue, when i checked the oil now, it shows on the tip of the dipstick, so not sure if i throw in more, cause i know the recomended is 2.2 litres with oil filter change also?

·
Registered
274 Posts
You have to let the quad sit for a few minutes after running to check the oil. This allows it to drain back into the oil tank. If you filled it with 2.2L it should be correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, yes I did, I let it idle for a couple of minutes, then checked it, I even drove it up and down and then checked it again and still the oil just shows at the tip of the dipstick. That was all yesterday, today I checked again and started the bike, still the same, oil just on the tip. I serviced my other ltz today and thru in 2.2 and that shows perfect. Not too sure what the issue is with my dads ltz, but do u think it’s all good if I throw in another 200ml? Which will make the total oil put in 2.4 liters ?

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
I would top it up..

Reactions: JOE G
1 - 7 of 7 Posts