Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just picked up my LTZ400 Tuesday morning....have a few questions tho....i had about 4.5-5 hours on it before i started going full throttle and riding fast, was that enough time for it to properly break in? and does the reverse have a rev limiter set at like 4,000rpm's? cause i cant give it full throttle in reverse w/o it breaking up...
Later,
Jeremy

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know where the reverse rev limiter is at but its low! And revese must be a small gear cuz i always burn out in that gear. Suzuki recomend 10 hours 1/2 its hard to do but its worth it. Have fun on the new quad!

Later

·
Registered
794 Posts
No, i think it will be fine, the only reason for the break in is to get the rings and cylinder nicely seated and some other parts. Suzuki overdoes the breakin period cuz they don't want it people cutting it short and then their engine breaks and stuff.

Later

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ya

they only say 12hrs or whatever because they know ppl WILL cut it short, if they said 6(like it needs) ppl would try 4

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My dealer said Ride it Like Yo stole it. I smething is gonna break u want it to happen right away so its still under warranty. What do you guys think about that? Is he on crack?

·
Registered
544 Posts
My dealer said Ride it Like Yo stole it. I smething is gonna break u want it to happen right away so its still under warranty. What do you guys think about that? Is he on crack?[/b]
Yes he must be.
:

·
Registered
143 Posts
i'd just like to say that no one i ride with has ever broken in any of their quads, and they run as good or better as any other. fact is nothing would have happened if you didn't break it in at all. at least its very unlikely.

·
Registered
142 Posts
not sure if this is still the case but back in early 90's Four stroke tech would put lighter weight oil in after a rebuild, He would tell you to go climb this big hill and ride up top a few minutes then come back down, rideing hard the whole time. His theory was that the fine hone he used needed this to seat the rings or easy riding would glaze things over. It seemed to work for my engines from him. He also said the reason a lot of home done bore jobs smoke fairly quick is that the hone is to rough and the rings get ate up while seating so its basically wore out by the time its broke in. I took it easy for about a couple hours on my new z and everything works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts