Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had bought an 03 ltz 400 and the starter has two wires grounded to it and the manual only calls for one ground to the starter. I was wondering if someone could tell me where the other ground would go and what it is for?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
The main ground from the negative battery post is grounded at the starter mount bolt. That should be the only one there unless something was added or the harness wasn’t installed right. The only other ground wire I know of is at the coil and starter relay.
1592018281421.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so I got the black negative terminal just hanging loose and there’s another terminal already bolted in to the top of the starter where does the black negative terminal end go?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many wires run to the starter motor? Right now I have one on top of the starter then the end of the negative terminal isn’t connected to anything just dangling does it ground to the frame or to one of the two mounting bolts of the starter?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
As I said, the negative wire from the battery mounts to the starter mount bolt.
The other red wire from the relay goes to the power connector on top of the starter. If you have more ground wires mounted to the starter, you’ll have to chase them up the harness to see where it goes. Only one ground is connected to my starter mount bolt. Maybe they added one for a light or whip?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No your right it went negative to the starter mounting bolt then positive to the top of the starter. Now every time I hit my starter it don’t turn the starter over it just makes the relay click and buzz does that mean not enough voltage to the relay?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
The relay is probably bad. You can jump the relay by laying an insulated screwdriver across the terminals and get it to crank. You will shock yourself if it isn’t insulated or you aren’t wearing heavy gloves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I ordered a new relay but it came with 2 green 30 amp fuses and the one on it now has 2 yellow 20 amp fuses can I just put the 20 amp fuses in the new relay I bought or is it the wrong one?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
They should be 30amp.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Wait, wrong bike. The 20amp is correct. That relay is probably used on many models.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Yes, they are all supposed to be 20. I imagine most aftermarket relays come with 30s due to being used on other machines. I had 30s on mine and never had a problem, but not what it’s designed to use.

Reactions: piki

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey jet I got another one for ya lol so today I go out my relay clicks and my starter won’t spin my battery is brand new and all the lights and stuff are working so what else would cause the starter not to spin?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Will the motor crank over by hand? If it does, I would suspect the starter brushes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do I tell which is negative and positive on my starter relay? One is copper and the other is silver. I figure negative is copper? And silver is positive?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts