Suzuki Central Forum banner

GSXR 600 SWAP Build

33K views 104 replies 20 participants last post by  KFXR600 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2005 GSXR 600 FI engine that has 12k with everything needed to run, pretty much next to nothing. Even got the gauge cluster/rpm tach and a power commander with it. I bought it to swap it into my kfx400. I have been part of 3 ds650 GSXR1000 swaps, but those quads are very different from the 400 and there are a lot more build threads out there for it. I was wondering if there are any build threads out there or pictures of a build. I've searched and haven't come up with much.

Thanks

#2 ·
all in for this one, cant wait to watch this build. so goood

#3 ·
Suscribed, Dont know much about the engine or even Zs yet, but I know that putting a 600cc engine where a 400cc engine was would be fun. Hope it turns out great!

#10 ·
I did see a GSXR in a trx450r frame ,the frame had to be cut to get the engine in. i'm going to advise against this build

#5 ·
With enough time and money, anything is possible.

#6 ·
go big or go home

#9 ·
What kind of plasma cutter do you have? Are you useing compressed air or gas with it?

#11 ·
No way it'll fit without major frame modification. The real issue will be getting the chain sprockets to line up.

#13 ·
A kid locally by me put a fuel injected Yamaha R1 engine in a DVX 400. I saw it on the ice this winter, it was crazy, so I definitely think this is possible. Here are some pics of it below.

Attachments

#18 ·
yeah Im really interested in this one, cant wait to see what you end up doing with the frame modification. post up them pics.

#19 ·
There's a biker pub ive been to a couple of times, and there a raptor with an r1 engine in it. He made that fit so why not!
Look forward to the progress reports.

#20 ·
The frame I just bought for the swingarm was cut up by the kid, he was gonna install a crotch rocket engine, but lost interest, all the tubes around the engine have been cut out.

#24 ·
I'm gonna build the same engine on my Z this or next year.
I asked someone for the engine measurements.
To my surprise will the gsxr600 fit into the frame proberbly without cutting.
So i am curious how your project wil develop.
I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.
Good luck.

#26 ·
I'm gonna build the same engine on my Z this or next year.
I asked someone for the engine measurements.
To my surprise will the gsxr600 fit into the frame proberblyh without cutting.
So i am curious how your project wil develop.
I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.
Good luck.
you have to cut the frame to properly mount the engine and allow room for the throttle bodies and airfilters.

I couldnt find a engine swap forum for the z400. So i know this will help a couple of people done the road. Engine swaps are the future for atvs.

#25 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFeCHgpbiU

In this video they put a cbr600rr motor in a z400.
And when you pause the movie when you see the engine as the guy steps of the quad.
You see they didn't cut op the entire frame. Only for what i can see at the bottem of the frame to fit the oilpan.
And perhaps you can use something out of this movie. Info or something else.
And enjoy this movie with this very fast z400.

Excuse me if my typing is somehow wrong. I am from holland.

#27 ·
List of parts needed: Already at $2200 for everything including custom aluminum gas tank.
(including the engine and wiring harness)

-Swingarm

-Front and rear sprockets 520? 15 tooth front, 58 tooth rear - pbisprockets.com

-Chain, I'm thinking 520 with at least 8500lb tensile strength, riveted master link... DID or EK etc...

-Power Commander V

-GSXR1000 stock header, 2005-2006 (used ebay)

-GSXR600 handlebar switch assemblies, left and right, 2004-2005 (used ebay)

-GSXR600 keyswitch 2004-2005 (used?)

-GSXR600 Cluster 2004-2005 (used ebay)

-TRX450 thumb throttle and cable assembly (used ebay)

-GSXR600 2004-2005 clutch lever assembly with switch (used ebay)

-GSXR600 stock clutch cable 2004-2005 (used but in great shape, ebay)

-Muffler, probably the M4 slip on

Not sure on gas tank, fuel pump, air filters

#28 · (Edited)

This is my swingarm.
It's a +6.
I had some solid aluminium blocks made and let a alu welder weld it in.
I have it for over 2 years now and it holds perfect. And i only drive street.
The total costs where around 180 euro or for you about 150 dollar.

If you want to do it cheap, this is an option.
And i never got the front of the ground. Not even when i pulled away full throttle.
I had this photo on my pc.

Very nice build.