Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from up in Duluth, MN!

When I was about 13 I had an 04 dvx that I had bought with the head in a Rubbermaid box, I got it running with the help of my father and rode that thing almost all summer for 2 years. It was rough looking, ran okay and had a lot of fabri-cobbled parts on it as a result of being a kid with no real job, but a fair bit of scrap metal and an abundance of spray paint. I mainly rode around my family's land and adjacent the power lines. Unfortunately one thing I never made was a belly skid or swing arm skid. This resulted in a rock bending the sprocket and the chain whipping the underside of the case where the shifter seal was breaking it in a way I couldn't jb weld my way through, defeated I sold it for parts. Unfortunately for all of the people reading this and myself I found a picture of it in all of it's rad-ness. 馃槀

Yikes... anyhoo. Fast forward 9 years, after bugging my friends to buy a streetbike so we can ride together several went out and bought.... dirtbikes. So much for back road runs together. 馃ゴ However they inspired me and after a few days of cruising the market I found, comparably, a deal on an 07 Ltz 400 and picked it up the the same day last weekend! I spend the following day riding at a friend's friends massive gravel pit with several small tracks that they have built to give the machine a solid shakedown and its performance amazed me compared to my old stock DVX.

Last run of the day it make a big pop on hard deaccel coming into a tight hairpin and it started acting like it was running out of gas, swapped to reserve and no dice, limped it back to the car and started poking around a bit and found the vac line to the petcock was wet with gas. Loaded it up and ordered a 660 petcock on the spot, hopefully that's the ticket!

Overall, I'm super excited to be back on this platform and for the riding ahead! Thanks for reading my small autobiography!

The quad, to my knowledge, currently sits as follows:

07 Ltz400
-HMF full competition system
-Uni foam filter
-No lid with an Outerwears installed
-Tusk Adjustable Axle set to +4
-ISHOCK i5500 shocks (if you have information on these please let me know!)
-AC racing Pro Pegs
-DG front bumper
-Full belly skid plate
-Some fully aluminum radiator
-2in front wheel spacers to match the rear

My plans for this season:
-660 petcock
-Fixing the previous owners hacks, seems like the guy before him did high quality work at least.
-Swing arm skid plates
-Blob removal with pull choke
-New front wheel bearings
-New grips
-Manual cam tentioner

My plans slightly longer term:
-Alba +2 or 3 arms
- Have shocks rebuilt if possible, 400ex spring on the factory rear shock
-Yfz450 from calipers
-Braided brake lines
-Trx450r master cylinder
-New bars and possibly a +1 or +2 stem
-Key, lights, reverse relocate
-Fcr39 and 400ex boot
-Head refresh
-High temp cdi (will look into the specifics on this when I get around to doing the head)
- Some form of HID retrofit if I find myself riding at night enough

Registered
Hello,

Nice quad! I was wondering do you have a straight picture from the front? To see how much of a difference does the spacers make? Do you think they help or not? I would like to get spacers in the front as well, though I believe the wheel turning might be a bit more difficult with spacers on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! As it turns out I don't have a head-on shot on my phone, I will take one tonight.

The spacers are interesting. It handles pretty darn stable being 4in wider all the way around and is pretty difficult to bicycle, I'm 180lb and 5'11" and I have to put my weight on the outside hoop of the nerf to bicycle it when I'm goofing off. Sometimes the rear inside will start to lift on high traction corners but you can throttle out of it without and issue.

The downside is putting the tire farther out from the ball joints gives them a fair bit of leverage so it steers heavy if you are crawling around over rocks and whatnot. It also batters the hell out of your arms in the choppy stuff because the bars kick back when the wheels hit bumps.

Overall, I plan to keep them on till I order the +3 arms and 4+1 wheels for it to combat the bump steer. They make an okay bandaid for the time being since I can't narrow the adjustable axle down to stock width.

I needed all new riding gear so that took priority over the A-arms at the moment, I've been riding in a street helmet and work boots. Haha

Registered
Thanks! As it turns out I don't have a head-on shot on my phone, I will take one tonight.

The spacers are interesting. It handles pretty darn stable being 4in wider all the way around and is pretty difficult to bicycle, I'm 180lb and 5'11" and I have to put my weight on the outside hoop of the nerf to bicycle it when I'm goofing off. Sometimes the rear inside will start to lift on high traction corners but you can throttle out of it without and issue.

The downside is putting the tire farther out from the ball joints gives them a fair bit of leverage so it steers heavy if you are crawling around over rocks and whatnot. It also batters the hell out of your arms in the choppy stuff because the bars kick back when the wheels hit bumps.

Overall, I plan to keep them on till I order the +3 arms and 4+1 wheels for it to combat the bump steer. They make an okay bandaid for the time being since I can't narrow the adjustable axle down to stock width.

I needed all new riding gear so that took priority over the A-arms at the moment, I've been riding in a street helmet and work boots. Haha
Nice, thanks for the information, when I was choosing between 2 z's, one was with spacers, but I could not ride it for a long time to see if it's a big difference with and without spacers, but I like the looks of wider front wheels, I know aftermarket arms are expensive to modify though, I believe spacers are much cheaper to get :/

Few other questions:

What's the point of a raptor petcock on ltz? Does it give any advantages? Mine's broken at the moment, and I've read you have 660 petcock (i assume it's from the raptor), should I consider buying it as well?

Another question, just out of curiosity, as I am not from USA, what is the law for quad bikes on the street in there? Can you ride it freely? Or just until the officer sees you riding it haha?

Regarding the gear, it's well important, the first night I bought mine I was excited, but did not have any gear, so was riding around at night with a bicycle helmet and work gloves haha :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm personally looking at the alba arms and they are $325 usd, I plan to do yfz450 front calipers and braided lines at the same time since Ill have it all apart.

The raptor petcock is to get away from the potentially problematic stock one, the raptor one is just a hand valve where the ltz one uses engine vacuum to open when it's running and close when it's not. In my case the diaphragm tore and was causing it to be running very rich. Sometimes they can fail shut too and cause fuel starvation.

As far as street use it kind of goes by town or county laws, in my case I'm in a rural town area and could ride to Walmart on it if I wanted, all sorts of people treat UTV's like cars in my town too for some reason.

Registered
Yeah I'm personally looking at the alba arms and they are $325 usd, I plan to do yfz450 front calipers and braided lines at the same time since Ill have it all apart.

The raptor petcock is to get away from the potentially problematic stock one, the raptor one is just a hand valve where the ltz one uses engine vacuum to open when it's running and close when it's not. In my case the diaphragm tore and was causing it to be running very rich. Sometimes they can fail shut too and cause fuel starvation.

As far as street use it kind of goes by town or county laws, in my case I'm in a rural town area and could ride to Walmart on it if I wanted, all sorts of people treat UTV's like cars in my town too for some reason.
Alright, then that explains why my petcock was broken off, the twisting part to turn on the reservoir is broken off ..

And I assume there are no stupid laws that a quad needs license plates, turn signals, etc. to be street legal right? Or that goes by state/town laws as well?

Btw sorry for the never ending questions, but I see you have a HMF exhaust system, when letting off the throttle does it make a lot popping noises? for example I have a custom exhaust, and when letting off the throttle it makes crazy popping noises, though the engine is clean, I've just rebuilt the carb, so there is no way that the quad is running too rich, I was wondering if this is normal on quads or not.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the plate depends on the state, we have to have a plate with our registration numbers to be on public land, they tend to just be homemade with like boat registration vinyl numbers. No blinkers though.

I would take a peek at your spark plug and make sure your exhaust is sealed up, no bolts rattled loose or holes. If the pipe is sealed and the plug looks like a good color you are probably okay but popping on deaccel can be a sign of running lean, however if the engine seems to be running well and isn't running lean and it pops that's not a huge deal as far as I understand.

Also, here is a head on picture of the front end for you, please excuse the mess of a garage I need to quit dragging ass and insulate and sheetrock the thing before winter rolls in. 馃槀

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts