Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some help. i just got done installing the big bore kit, cams, head, cam chain (its all in my sig), and now the motor is very hard to turn over. it feels like it has a 14:1 piston in it. it'll turn over fine until its on the comp stroke, then the starter will barely turn it. the battery is drained, but i have been jumping it with other quads, vehicles, etc.is it the cams? could something be binding, i've gone thru the clutch 3 times to make sure its all right, could i have put the primary nut on too tight? or do u think its an electrical prob. BTW before the cam chain the it would start fine. thanks guys

· Registered
7,403 Posts
First off, you should ALWAYS rotate the engine over by hand after extensive work/rebuilding. Use a ratchet and socket on the flywheel retaining nut to spin the engine around a few times to listen/feel for any binding. I would NEVER just button everything and try firing it up while assuming everything is ok.

On another note. You did mention the installation of a big bore kit. What compression did you go up to? If you made a jump to 13:1 or higher and you have a weak battery, it's not at all uncommon to have problems turning over the engine w/ a weak battery. When I installed a 13.5:1 piston, I killed the stock battery in no time at all cranking on the starter.

I would first double check a few things and crank the engine over by hand and make sure you have no obvious problems. Once you've eliminated those potential problems, I'd look into a new, larger battery w/ more crankning power.....if that is in fact the issue.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i did turn it through the cycle, at least a few rotations by to make sure nothing was wrong. it felt pretty normal, it was a little harder than with the stock piston to turn during the comp stroke, but nothing unusual. the piston was supposed to be 12.1:1, with the drz base, maybe i got one with a little higher comp?i bought the kit from a site member and he bought it from some one else. all parts were new, but it had been assembled before. could it be a bad ground, or loose connection?

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot to add that if i take out the spark plug the starter will turn it over much easier. with the plug in you can hear the motor drawing in air from the intake, and out of the exhaust. i think its electrical, but i didnt mess with any wires or anything.

· Registered
7,403 Posts
Sounds like a case of high compression and a bad battery. Like I said before....high compression can kill an already weak battery. Before I finally swapped my 13.5:1 piston for a 12.5:1 piston, I went through two batteries.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NJC, i appreciate your help, even though i jump it from another vehicle, shouldnt that negate the effects of the dead battery. i know that the battery is dead, it wont even turn on the neut. indicator. but when i jump it all the lights work, even the high beams. although they do dim when i crank it. thanks again

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where is the best place to buy a higher rated battery with more CCA's?

· Registered
2 Posts
hey guys i need some help. i just got done installing the big bore kit, cams, head, cam chain (its all in my sig), and now the motor is very hard to turn over. it feels like it has a 14:1 piston in it. it'll turn over fine until its on the comp stroke, then the starter will barely turn it. the battery is drained, but i have been jumping it with other quads, vehicles, etc.is it the cams? could something be binding, i've gone thru the clutch 3 times to make sure its all right, could i have put the primary nut on too tight? or do u think its an electrical prob. BTW before the cam chain the it would start fine. thanks guys
Hey man was wondering if you ever got that problem figured out doubt you’ll see this but I am having same problem and am completly stumped.

· Registered
459 Posts
Double check all of your grounds, this can cause this issue, Make sure battery is good as well. One thing at a time to try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts