Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody dropped a tooth on thier front sprocket? I saw a post somewhere about somebody doing it....forgot where.

Some people say that the Z is a top end screamer. I also hear they are more od a mid-range machine.

I ask this because we don't mind losing a litle top speed to make the machine more radical on the trails and in the pits. We will be making some tracks at the pits and I highly doubt that we'd have the room to be opening these KFX's up where we do most of our riding....just on the way there :).

I just want the results from anybody who has changed thier gearing...thanks.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have heard people changing the gearing on atvconnection and they say it can wheelie like no ones business when you drop a tooth in the front. They even say 4th gear wheelies are really easy, right now 4th gear is possible with stock gearing but you need to really pull the bars and hammer on it. I don't think you will be disapointed if you change the gearing. I'm thinking I might do this myself, but I want to get a gear with 1 tooth more and 1 tooth less. I would like more top end speed as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I am going to drop mine a tooth, and maybe even get a larger one for the rear as I am going to go with 22's on the rear for extra clearance. As for fourth gear wheelies with the stock gearing, I was pulling them all day long on the beach at Sand Lake earlier this week. It was awesome. A bit of a head wind, throttle down hard, pull back hard and hold on. Fourth gear wheelies are something else!!!! Make sure you have a lot of room though. I had the whole beach, so it felt like I was holding them forever. Third is way easier with the stock gearing, almost effortless really. Just wait till you lose a tooth, fourth will wheelie like third.
peace

·
Registered
365 Posts
I installed a 13 tooth front sprocket earlier this week. Probably the best "bang for the buck" in my opinion. I also removed the airbox lid, installed uni filter, modified stock exhaust, and rejetted. I can wheelie in 1st or 2nd just by hammering the throttle. A little clutch and pull will bring it up in 3rd pretty easy. Oh yeah, I also installed a 27.5 pilot jet today. This thing really flies now. I may be a little rich on the main at 165, but everything else feels just right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey HPFman....I hear you got to use a c-clip from a auto parts store and ya have to get the sprocket from an aftermarket company.

Got a part # and phone number or something? We are also waiting to see if the KFX's come with 13's on the front....some people say that the KFX has different gearing...we will see.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bottomline, I ordered the sprocket from my dealer. It's the same sprocket for the DRZ dirt bike. I got the 7/8" C-clip at Loews. You can also call Sidewinder sprockets but theirs are more expensive. Mine was $18, Sidewinders are $25 and up. Sidewinders # is 630-513-1000 Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
HPFman,

What's the # for the Uni filter? someone else posted a number on here, but it's not on the unifilter website, nor does parts unlimited recognize it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Corpsie, it's NU-2483ST My dealer had to order it directly from Uni. I think you can order direct too. You don't have to go through a dealer. I went ahead and bought 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts