Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used machine and unfortunately have had alot of issue, so this would be no surprise.

It looks like someone cut out the rear shock mount and raised it up??

Does this look right? If it is, why would someone do that?

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
They definitely did change it. I don't know why unless they were trying to lower it for flat track or something, but even then, that would be very abnormal, and a pretty bad idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dangit.

I went ahead and jumped on a used frame and will weld up my own gussets on it.

Any insight to the thickness of said gussets?

Any threads out there with a guide to frame swapping order?

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
If your new frame is an ‘05 and later, it has gussets from the factory. ‘03 and most of ‘04 needed the gusset kits.

As far as the order of swapping frames, not much to it. I would do engine first, run the chain around the front sprocket, then swing arm. The rest really doesn’t matter much. Pay particular attention to routing the cables correctly (not necessarily how yours are, since they may be wrong) to be sure they are long enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Here is a pic, I assumed since it has the shock tower gusset that it was 05+

That's 03/04. I can tell by the subframe mounts. I would recommend gusseting. I don't know if anyone still sells a kit, but that's a good way to go. Gusseting can be complicated, because if you over stiffen something, it causes something else to crack or break.

Where I've seen issues are the front shock mounts, the steering support, where the steering support meets the upper tubes, the subframe, and the subframe mounts. It's also helpful to brace between the a-arm mounts.

An 03/04 frame that's properly gussetted is stronger than an 05+ frame that isn't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dang was hoping 05, but was gonna gusset either way.

Will I have any issues swapping over any of my 06 components? Or sub frame?

Going to basically copy this review of the Bare kit, but cannot find any reference to the thickness of the plates. Looks like 1/8" maybe? Would love to find a kit, but seems pretty straight forward.

I also planned on finishing all the factory welds around all the mounts etc....is this a bad idea?

Open to advice on more/other places to gusset.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frame showed today. Power washed and found no cracks surprisingly. Any advice per the last reply would be appreciated. Ill be starting to weld on this thing pretty soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang was hoping 05, but was gonna gusset either way.

Will I have any issues swapping over any of my 06 components? Or sub frame?

Going to basically copy this review of the Bare kit, but cannot find any reference to the thickness of the plates. Looks like 1/8" maybe? Would love to find a kit, but seems pretty straight forward.

I also planned on finishing all the factory welds around all the mounts etc....is this a bad idea?

Open to advice on more/other places to gusset.

Well no reply but I went ahead and put some redneck gussets in :grin2: Used some scrap I had laying around. Basically copied the old bare kit.

If anyone has any other ideas of what I should do now before powder coat..id appreciate it.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
Just run it break it and fix it.

Well no reply but I went ahead and put some redneck gussets in :grin2: Used some scrap I had laying around. Basically copied the old bare kit.

If anyone has any other ideas of what I should do now before powder coat..id appreciate it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Frame is done and looks pretty good.

I added gussets to the sub frame brace brackets, LED tail light bracket and rear grab bar last minute.

To answer my own question of will there be a fitment issue on the frame / sub frame:

Just had to drill out the top mounts and weld new nuts on to fasten the 05+ sub frame.

Pretty much just posting pics in hopes to help revive this forum. Photobucket has ruined so much of it :(

Lots of parts coming, cant wait to get this thing going!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
^ Thanks! Ill have an update pic soon. Parts coming in (including alba gear :) )

Tried to make some progress today after waiting forever for swingarm seals.

I pressed out the factory swing arm bushings (not the bearings)and pressed them in the aftermarket swingarm. Was really frustrating when the swingarm factory sleeve did not fit thru the bushings.

Anyone familiar with this problem, or is it mostly because they are a one time use thing? Ordered new ones...now more waiting.

Edit: Things have really escalated with this so I started a new thread in the build section. You guys are welcome to check it out (and help please lol)
Here is the link!

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Looks pretty good! I might be a little late on this, but on the 03-04 subframe, I like to add some weld lengthwise from the tubing across the mounts. I've broken the mounts off before, but I'm fat lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts