Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay just got an 03 ltz400 on a trade...bike seemed solid but actually got a chance to ride it today and some things I noticed was when you got on it it kinda cut in and out a lil/ hesitated...not all the time though I’d say maybe 50% of the time also didn’t seem like power was there the whole time...like here in there it would snap a lil and put that grin on my face but wasn’t constant power it felt (now I haven’t been on a quad in years but just seemed like it should have more snap). After riding for maybe half hour I came back and decided to check the oil and it was a gray color. Coolant seemed normal didn’t notice any bubbles or anything or any oil in the coolant...my question is is this a head gasket or maybe a cracked head or I also read some things about a magnesium head where corrosion could allow coolant in the oil? And if this is a possibility how can I tell it the head is magnesium? Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
might be the head gasket or the water pump seal, tho i whould suspect more about the head gasket cos u lack in power, if u take the head off, it will very easy to identify cracks in the head...

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
If the coolant level isn't dropping, it probably just needs an oil change. There's a clutch and transmission in there too which can make the oil look that way.

The symptoms sound like a dirty carburetor. If it has been sitting around a while before you got it, I'd almost guarantee it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the coolant level isn't dropping, it probably just needs an oil change. There's a clutch and transmission in there too which can make the oil look that way.

The symptoms sound like a dirty carburetor. If it has been sitting around a while before you got it, I'd almost guarantee it.
I didn’t notice the coolant dropping at all the reservoir is still filled and when I put my finger in the radiator I can feel coolant so it doesn’t seem like it’s draining I just saw the oil color and got worried I traded for a piece of crap lol but that makes me feel better I’ll have to pull the carb off and clean the piss out of it and see if that helps me any then do an oil change and see if the color gets any better...i hope it is just from sitting but I don’t know to much about it like I said so hopefully all is good after I get the carb cleaned and all that

·
Registered
245 Posts

tranny can couse milky oil,? didnt knew that....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m going to replace the oil tomorrow and ride for a little bit and post results also gonna take the carb off and clean it and see what happens if it doesn’t fix the problem then it’s coming in for a rebuild this winter! And most likely getting a bit bore kit on it anyone have any tips for that if it comes down to it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
it make sense to go from the ez job to the hard, first see if replacing oil and cleaning carb will resolve your issue ...

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
I’m going to replace the oil tomorrow and ride for a little bit and post results also gonna take the carb off and clean it and see what happens if it doesn’t fix the problem then it’s coming in for a rebuild this winter! And most likely getting a bit bore kit on it anyone have any tips for that if it comes down to it?
When it comes to a big bore, the +4 kits (434cc) are the most reliable. There's some good kits that come with everything you need. Athena is awesome parts, but pricy. It has the most sturdy cylinder by far. I actually get used ones, and get them bored and plated 2mm bigger yet, because it's the only one with enough meat.

Cylinder works is a good kit.

I prefer to stay away from the cheap Niche or any other brand that comes with a Namura piston. Those kits actually come with a good cylinder, but that piston is not very good.

There's usually a bunch of kits on ebay also that come with a JE or CP piston. Those are also really good.

You can have your cylinder bored and re-plated, then run whatever you want for a piston, but many of the other options are cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something else the quad does is back fire a lot especially like down hills when I let off the throttle it backfires a lot could this add to my issue of dirty carb or do I need to rejet and if so what sizes would you use ect.

·
Registered
245 Posts
damn u full with info cfm... :) ....
im learning something new every day?

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
Something else the quad does is back fire a lot especially like down hills when I let off the throttle it backfires a lot could this add to my issue of dirty carb or do I need to rejet and if so what sizes would you use ect.
Yes, the pilot jet is the smallest passage in the carb, and is restricted quickly when things get grimy in there. If the pilot jet gets restricted, it will cause issues at idle to 1/8 throttle, and a lean condtion there will cause popping when you let off the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
CFM is the real guru around here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
lol i have seen that , i whouldnt even dare do half the things i have done in our quads if wasnt u guys around...
FYI im gonna solve this slipping to netral from first gear , getting annoying, im gonna do oil change again , if wont solved- im splitting the cases(sigh;;;).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay little update...I changed the oil and after further inspection I don’t think there was any coolant in the oil changed the oil and then was gonna ride it and check it after well got about 15 mins into the ride and boom sheared my master link on my chain and broke a tooth off my front sprocket....go figure 😅😅😅 anyways I took the carb off and brought it home and cleaned it now it has an adjustable needle on it it was set second from the top so I moved it down one notch so it’s now 3 notches down from the top one as it seems my issues were from being a little too lean on everything does this seem right? The carb didn’t seem to be that dirty but I cleaned all the jets and the bowl and the throttle aseembly best I could...any tips about the adjustable needle? Or does it seem like I have it right I could find any numbers on main jet but the one had 22.5 on it I’m assuming it’s stock? But it has a pull choke on it rather than a cable...any info is appreciated!! Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
22.5 is stock. Without numbers on the main, you have no idea what it is. I would put a 155 in it and a 25 pilot, leave the needle where you have it and set the fuel screw to 2.5 turns out. That should be close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
22.5 is stock. Without numbers on the main, you have no idea what it is. I would put a 155 in it and a 25 pilot, leave the needle where you have it and set the fuel screw to 2.5 turns out. That should be close.
[/QUOT
okay I actually found a number on the main jet and it was a 136...that seems wayyy lean to me I’m only running a hmf slip on but still I’m guessing this is why I’m having the cutting in and out issues hoping replacing these jets to a 155 main and a 25 pilot will fix my issue I have them coming in the mail...thanks for your help hopefully this gets her running like a raped ape!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay just got an 03 ltz400 on a trade...bike seemed solid but actually got a chance to ride it today and some things I noticed was when you got on it it kinda cut in and out a lil/ hesitated...not all the time though I’d say maybe 50% of the time also didn’t seem like power was there the whole time...like here in there it would snap a lil and put that grin on my face but wasn’t constant power it felt (now I haven’t been on a quad in years but just seemed like it should have more snap). After riding for maybe half hour I came back and decided to check the oil and it was a gray color. Coolant seemed normal didn’t notice any bubbles or anything or any oil in the coolant...my question is is this a head gasket or maybe a cracked head or I also read some things about a magnesium head where corrosion could allow coolant in the oil? And if this is a possibility how can I tell it the head is magnesium? Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts