Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I've always been a lurker and never actually signed up till now.. I recently ran into some issue with my Z 400 so I'm on here and everywhere else gaining knowledge and gaining access to parts. I have a 2008 black and red z400. I love that thing. It's time to upgrade. I live in the Maryland area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that did leave the topic for upgrades wide open. Upgrades parts for the 400. I plan on doing a big bore kit, fcr carb if I can get ahold of one for a decent price. I plan to start there as parts add up. I wanna do cams and full exhaust just depends on budget. I have a kfx450r, kx250f plus bikes and cars all these things start adding up. So I'm not trying to get all crazy with the 400.. I mainly just trail ride it not to mention the side by side I have also. That is the main money pit!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah… I’ve got all of the above and my Z is my main thing I ride. I recently did a BBK, cams, slip on, cd, for carb, ect. If your just trail riding, I’d just do cams and exhaust be the BBK. That will go a long ways. I race in the small series in the trail rider class around me so all the extra helps me gain an advantage but not really sure if you would need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your saying you wouldn't even do the bbk? In my position. I definitely don't race it. It has low compression right now so that needs to be addressed either way. I was on the fence about just either rings or a std piston swap. Figured I might as well do the bbk and slowly add the other mods like carb etc. I know if I wanted the full potential I'd have to do it all.

·
Administrator
3,876 Posts
Welcome! If your comp is low, I would do the bigblock and cams. No need for cdi, IMO, thats just a cherry you can put on later. Exhaust for sure, and Fcr, you'll be smiling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, what your saying does make complete sense. My other theory was, if I'm going to buy more then just a piston itself. I might as well get the big bore now. They seem to be close enough when replacing piston and cylinder. Std vs bbk.
Welcome! If your comp is low, I would do the bigblock and cams. No need for cdi, IMO, thats just a cherry you can put on later. Exhaust for sure, and Fcr, you'll be smiling.
I'm looking at getting cams but what cams work best with combo from experience?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m running Hot Cams stage 2. They are the original hot cams so they are spicier than the new ones. And if your doing the BBK I would recommend the Athena 434. That’s what I’m running and it solid for how cheap I got it.

·
Administrator
3,876 Posts
Read the cam specs from all manufacturers on this site. It will give you some good info.
The advertised comp ratio of pistons for sale, are with the single layer DRZ E base gasket. That 11.3 becomes a 12.1 with the other gasket, approx. I would stay away from 13.5 comp pistons, unless you run the thick gasket. You are in race fuel territory there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the helpful insite and information. I'm on the fence about everything. I want to definitely fix my low compression issue and was thinking big bore. But I'd have to do, the bbk and cams at a minimum to start is what it seems. Based on that I'd have to also replace my valves prings.. Can I get away with just valve springs or I'd have to replace the vales also I'm sure. Which is when the cost just keep going up..lol

·
Administrator
3,876 Posts
It will run fine by just getting the compression back. It will run better with just a big bore kit, you can do all the head stuff later, cams, springs,. to get more out out. It will only cost a head gasket to do it later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts