Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Always where a "full-face" helmet

2. Always where goggles. Do not wear goggles that have any existing damage

3. Wearing a helmet that does not fit is like wearing no helmet at all

4. If a helmet is involved in a crash where more then minimal helmet contact is involved or if the helmet is dropped on a hard surface from up high, etc. it may possibly be damaged . Inner core helmet damage may be present even if exterior damage like a crack is not present. Replace the helmet!

5. Always use chin strap which is properly adjusted

6. Never ride with a half helmet. Always wear a "full face" helmet

7. When you come across a down rider / rider say crashed, NEVER ... NEVER
attempt to remove his helmet. (There are only rare times that the helmet would be removed dependent on the medical emergency and symptoms presented) Again, NEVER remove the helmet nor attempt to move the rider so his neck moves. Dig some dirt out under his face or whatever so he has air, etc., clear junk out, in and around his mouth and nose but do NOT move his/her head or remove the helmet. (Of course some situations like fire, risk of drowning in a stream means you would have to move him BUT NEVER move the rider unless his life would be threatened if you did not move him. IF the rider gets up on his own WITHOUT your help that is one thing but do not pick someone up, move him, etc. Seek help immediately. NEVER ride alone. Carry a cellphone / two way radio etc.
This message is brought to you by someone who has been involved with Emergency medicine for over 27 years.. the information is correct

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My dad actually has a sticker on his helmet that says:

In case of emergency DO NOT remove helmet.

I usually ride alone, but I don't go too far, and am right next to a major highway, plus I carry my cell phone and let my wife know an approximate time I will be back.

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
#8: Your first crash in a helmet is your last crash in the helmet. It's trash.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
#8: Your first crash in a helmet is your last crash in the helmet. It's trash.[/b]
Already listed as #4... :roll: :roll: :p -Andy[/b][/quote]

#4 mentions visible damage. Just because it looks like it's "still good" doesn't mean it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
#8: Your first crash in a helmet is your last crash in the helmet. It's trash.[/b]
Already listed as #4... :roll: :roll: :p -Andy[/b][/quote]

#4 mentions visible damage. Just because it looks like it's "still good" doesn't mean it is.[/b][/quote]

Corpsie, you are correct a helmet does not have to be visibly damaged to be deemed unusuable. Of course severity of crash, etc. needs to be taken into consideration. A crash that say does not involve the helmet does not mean you would throw away the helmet. If a helmet is struck hard it may not have a crack on the exterior but the inner core may be damaged and thus helmet needs replacement. Judgement has to be used here as to what exactly happened to the helmet/ the severity of helmet impact etc.
By the way, posts like these with you guys talking are excellent as it shows me my post has got your brain cells working. Talk here may just very well save a life... really! By the way Corpsie, I have changed the original post so it addresses your comment. Take a look. Hey, do you know why you should NOT ride with a half helmet?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Corpsie, I have changed the original post so it addresses your comment. Take a look. Hey, do you know why you should NOT ride with a half helmet?[/b]
I might if I knew what a half helmet was :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corpsie, I have changed the original post so it addresses your comment. Take a look. Hey, do you know why you should NOT ride with a half helmet?[/b]
I might if I knew what a half helmet was :D[/b][/quote]

A half helmet is a helmet like say bicycle riders use, some motorcycle passenger helmets and such. A half helmet is a helmet that say does not go below your ears but ends just above your ears. Not a full face helmet either.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
well then, you shouldn't use a half helmet because you'll get your face blown open by rocks, branches, etc....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well then, you shouldn't use a half helmet because you'll get your face blown open by rocks, branches, etc....[/b]
Well, yes and more. A half helmet does not protect your ears, lower face, jaw, teeth, etc. but the big thing it does not protect is the lower portion of the back of your head. Your brain stem lives locally and needs to be protected. Half helmets offer no protection there. Half helmets tend to fly off easier also. Indeed some half helmets are DOT approved but you should not use them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Many people use helmets that are not fullface...especially in normal recreational riding and working. I mean these are the people that ride in a "unsporty" way. They are DOT approved...some are Snell approved.

MX helmets are NOT the best for ALL styles of riding...but do offer more protection which some people don't need and aren't willing to sacrafice for convience and comfort and visibility.

Me...I wear a MX helmet of course...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I also have a MX helmat...... when i first got a quad, i had one of them GOOFY half helmats lmfao.. it looked so dumb....with the fold down shield and all :roll:

wore that helmat for about 1 week, then switched to full face.

I sometimes hit my mouth piece of my helmat on the bars, so it is really good to have a full face helmat.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i had my quad flip over me w/ me sliding on my face, very happy i had that mouth protection, id prolly be missing teath if not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Corpsie@Feb 28 2003, 06:53 PM
well then, you shouldn't use a half helmet because you'll get your face blown open by rocks, branches, etc....
ROFLMAO

·
Registered
36 Posts
If any of you guys have seen Heuvos they never remove the helmets when they crash , they wait for the ambulance. And i bet they have seen it thousands of times, so they know what they are doing. :worship:

·
Registered
585 Posts
i just had a wreck and my head hit the ground.. causing my visor to break.. it wasnt an extremly hard hit.. do i need a new helmet???

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Originally posted by TheWhiteZ@Jul 7 2004, 08:33 PM
i just had a wreck and my head hit the ground.. causing my visor to break.. it wasnt an extremly hard hit.. do i need a new helmet???
I dont think so the visor is not as strong as a helmet. you can break a visor with your hands.. I think onces something crack (the actual helmet) will need replacing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone out there got real experience that backs up the don't reuse a helmet issue or are you just taking the manufacturers word for it. You know the ones trying to sell more helmets. A brit bike magazine(Performance Bikes) recently conducted tests on helmets before and after impacts and found no difference in protection. Logically they pointed out that during a crash your helmet may hit more than one object, are the manufacturers saying you would survive hitting the first tree, but not the second?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts