Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there good gains by drilling out the peashooter, or should I just buy a aftermarket pipe?
I dont want it too LOUD.
please respond A.S.A.P.
THANKS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I driilled mine out as a first mod and honestly I noticed no seat of pants improvment. If there was a gain it was so minimal I couldn't tell. A real pipe is by far going to yeild better results. I'm looking at a full pipe as a next mod. I think the gains it's worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The drilled out pea-shooter won't be as loud as a slip on.
Keep in mind, there are 2 things to drill out (if you're going to bother doing it)

1 The Pea Shooter
http://atv.corpsie.com/index.html?mod=003

2. The pipe in the wall behind it
http://atv.corpsie.com/index.html?mod=004

In my humble opinion, this mod may have not gained much HP, but it seems to have gained some torque down low (especially near stall speeds)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are awesome pictures. 8O
I was told a slip on pipe does'nt gain much. :?
I wonder it a stock pipe drilled out, with a FMF Powerbomb header would be the trick?
what do you think.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My HMF slipon made a big difference on the bottom and midrange. A full pipe is a little better on the topend.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
in the March 2003 issue of DirtWheels, it had a pipe shootout for the Z. they said that a stock pipe with the peashooter cut out and on a 155 main jet and airbox lid removed that it gave them 7/10ths more hp over totally stock. it said that it helped the most in bottom-mid, but it lossed some up top. just my 2 cents worth.

Little Fat

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I drilled out my peeshooter.
Havent road it yet
it has much deeper sound in the garage.

·
Registered
517 Posts
now, you have a warranty issue

Should have bought a pipe, really.

This is one of the problems with believing what we read, and not knowing the age, experience or intent, of who wrote it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I drilled out the peashooter when I first got my Z, along with removing the snorkle and rejetting. I have since installed a full LRD exhaust and I can tell you there is no comparison. The peashooter removed gave me minimal gains at best, but the full exhaust gave me big gains. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the LRD pipe loud?
I want a quiet pipe.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have helped install and jet two of the full LRD pipes on the Z. The LRD is about as loud as the rest. It sounds good though! The power is great. It pulls hard from bottom to top. I would get the ceramic?? coating. The chrome one turns color FAST. 1x4 hole in back of lid and 160main.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
HPFMan,

Curious, did you dyno to tell the HP gain difference? The only reason I ask is because you throw a loud pipe on anything and the sound alone is enough to make you think you got a lot more HP than you really did. :) And a pipe can change the HP curve alone, so if it "wheelies easier" may be that you just gained more low-mid power. As some tuners say, you can't add horsepower, you can only move it around. Which is of course only a half-truth. :)

I'm not arguing the fact that an aftermarket pipe and silencer will be good for gains, better than drilling the peashooter (the new header helps a lot). But aftermarket pipes are a big killer for the ATV world because of the noise.

They've shut down more than one riding area around this area. I thought my 250R with ESR pipe and open airbox was loud until I heard a 400ex with white bros pipe... I almost told him to leave the ATV park myself.. but 3 raptors with loud pipes showed up too and I wasn't in the mood to rumble with all of them.. lol!. 2 weeks later, no more ATV park. :(

Noise being the only reason I haven't put on aftermarket pipe. I did get a spare stock pipe from ebay for 30 bucks shipped though if I ever have to take it in. :) Even though you don't even notice the pea shooter is missing.

I've tuned many machines, ATVs and MCs, and a pipe does help with the entire picture. But sometimes the easiest gains are from opening up the airbox and rejetting. And that snorkle baffle alone is a big hamper on the ol Z's breathing ability.

Also, the quiet pipes from the db tests, well, they're ugly. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
bvstone,

I don't have a dyno of the Z with the peashooter drilled out. I only have the LRD setup dyno'd . The mechanic who did the dyno runs said the Z's have been showing 22-25 hp on his dyno. Taking the average of 24 hp stock, mine showed 29.7. A gain of 5.7 ponies.

I think to get any real gains by removing the peashooter, you need to do like Corpsie and drill the plate behind the spark arrestor also. I have also raced my brother-in-law, who has a stock Z. In a 100 yard race I would beat him by 1-2 lengths with the peashooter removed. With the LRD I can beat him by 5-6 lengths or more. BTW, I agree that noise can be a concern, however it's never been a factor where I ride.
Badfordman, have you considered the MBRP pipe. Several people on this forum have that pipe. It's supposed to be quieter than most others.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I believe that Dyno needs a tuneup!!!! That is the lowest stock HP numbers (24) that I have seen. Moct run between 29-32. I guess I am getting old but, I don't like to listen to all the loud pipes either but, I like the extra power of the HMF slipon.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks.. Sometimes (read SOMETIMES) drags will show where the power is. I know dragging a stock raptor he never got more than 1/2 length ahead and that wasn't until top gear, which tells me that the mods do make a difference. Probably the jetting/airbox mods more than the peashooter, but letting more air in, you gotta let more out and it does help, however cheesy some may think it is.

Usually with pipes you will get better top end because the headers help there. I prefer a good low end and am VERY happy with my setup now and don't plan on a pipe for a while. In my small neighborhood they do complain now and then when we have friends over for our big rides, and they have loud pipes. Right now, the noise isn't worth the extra hp. But, when Big Gun finally gets their ignition box out, that will be a nice mod to make if it's anything like the one for the 400ex.

Again, thanks for the input... even though it wasn't dynoed before and after, drags can show nice gains. Not just top end, but from start to finish. Did anything change from start to top end? did you pull away faster at the beginning?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HPFman,
I did think about the mbrp.
according to dumbwheels, I mean Dirtwheels the mbrp did'nt give much gains.

·
Registered
593 Posts
HPFman,
I did think about the mbrp.
according to dumbwheels, I mean Dirtwheels the mbrp did'nt give much gains.[/b]
it's because they got it in at the last minute and didn't follow MBRP's jetting requirements.......they did there own thing. i only know cuz i have a full system and i modded that and it has more rev than my yoshi slip-on ever thought of having.

the powertach 4 is awesome, with one little mod you make it into a frakin' beast of a full system and it is pretty quite

·
Registered
365 Posts
z400ACDC,
I agree the dyno numbers are really low. It does however show significant gains with the full exhaust. I really only did the dyno to get the jetting dialed in. Got tired of doing plug chops and all that. It cost me $85 for 1 hour dyno time and I think it was well worth it. Throttle response is great and it has no flat spots.

·
Registered
365 Posts
BTW, I found out that the EHS airbox lid did lower hp very slightly (1hp) compared to running no lid at all. I can still use the lid for wet or muddy conditions, but mostly I'm running no lid.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big air,
Did your MBRP pipe get much louder after you drilled it?
Is is still the quietest pipe you can buy?
Are you SURE it gave you more power?
What main jet are you running?
Has ANYONE ELSE tried this yet?

I SURE LIKE THE INFO EVERYONE SHARES!!!!

THIS FOURM IS GREAT!!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!
RIDE-ON!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts