Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!
I broke my rear axle bearings and the bearing carrier.
I am trying to exctract one of the rear wheel hubs to make the axle go away.
Unfortunately it is rusted and I can't get it out, no matter how many hits with an hammer I give it.
I even turned the atv on the ride side and sprayed the part with WD-40...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wanted to show some photos but unfortunately I can't due the rules.
I hope to don't break the rules if I share some links this way -------> ibb.co/PY8hnzJ
-------> ibb.co/RPLCFQw

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
If I remember right, you only need to pull the left side hub to pull the axle. I think you are going to have to heat the hub by the look of it, and hammer it off or use an impact gun and puller, or both...
You should be able to directly load the photos here, maybe you didn't have enough post yet. You should be able to now. Use the insert image icon above the message box..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you very much amcf18!

I will try doing as you say..I have a "tool" (a little 30% propane 70% butane sprayer) which can reach 1800 celsius..will try using that as well an hammer...!

I solved the image related issue, too!

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
By the looks of it, I would just cut the axle. You will probably need a new axle and hub anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
By the looks of it, I would just cut the axle. You will probably need a new axle and hub anyway.
Yea, that looks creepy!

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,008 Posts
Get a bigger hammer! rent a puller use more heat it will come off

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It didn't come out after several tries..

I'm thinking about trying with the other one, is it possibile to do the same job working on the rear right hub?
I mean if it comes out I can try to remove the rear braking plate from the right and then make the whole axle come off pushing on the left It?

·
Registered
624 Posts
its impossible...that axle is welded with the hub by RUST!!! :D

if you keep hitting that hub you will most likely bend it too
or are you hitting the axle thread?

maybe with a pulley exctractor? most likely will break the exctractor...
i dont know...give it a try

·
3,008 Posts
The brake hub is pressed onto the axle and is almost impossible to get off. Your better of just cutting the axle. I have a durablue for sale if you would like to buy one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
I would be shocked if it held up after welding it. Too much twisting force on it when using the rear brake. You’re better off replacing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be shocked if it held up after welding it. Too much twisting force on it when using the rear brake. You’re better off replacing it.
ok, thanks! Apart from that do you think that the non original, aftermarket hub housing I linked will be good aswell? Do you see any other problems to other parts of the assembly judging by the photos I posted? thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
ok, thanks! Apart from that do you think that the non original, aftermarket hub housing I linked will be good aswell? Do you see any other problems to other parts of the assembly judging by the photos I posted? thanks
You need to remove the rest of that bearing close to the brake hub. As far as the aftermarket bearing carrier I have no experience with those.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Not sure I would trust that carrier, probably better off finding a used stock unit.

Hard to see, but something looks off with those threads next to the rear drive sprocket on the axle.

Make sure to clean up that corrosion on the center of the axle as much as possible and coat it with a marine grease or something to keep water off of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, I ordered a new rear hub. I ordered it used and the seller installed new bearings and new oil seals.

The problem now is that the oil seals seem to be a bit too large, not covering the internal part of the bearings..

What do you think by looking at the images?

THANKS

Attachments

·
3,008 Posts
Looks fine to me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts