Suzuki Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
Looks like it’s sealing just fine to me. Some of the inner race is visible, but keeps water from getting to the balls inside. Maybe I’m just not seeing the issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Another question, do you know what's the pattern for the 2 long and 2 short screws of the rear hub?

Is it like this?

No the two short bolts will go in the rear holes closest to the adjuster bolt. Due to the lower ledge of the swingarm.

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
Yes, that would be a problem. Nothing to keep the bearings from walking inward.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Ok, mounted everything back.

Unfortunately now another problem has arisen..it won't start.
The atv has been left unused for 6 years, obviously in my garage (it was not exposed to water or something else).

The battery has been replaced (even tried to connect it to my car), the oil changed. But the starter motor will give no signs of life (lights and everything else works) AND the throttle lever is hard to press.
The gasoline in the tank has not been changed..could that be the problem?

My father tried to carry me with a elastic rope at speeds like 20 km/h. It didn't start but the motor sounded like all ok and like it was in idle, but it didn't kept the idle.
I did put from neutral the second gear and it went in this "state" when my father was pulling me, but when I did again go in idle it didn't remain in idle. Anyway the motor remained cold after this "pull" start that lasted like 3-400 meters...

I even uploaded a video on youtube..if you could be so kind to give it a look....

Any help?

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
It looks to me like you’re pushing the red kill switch, not the start button. The start button should be on the bottom of the blob.

If it sat for 6 years, I guarantee the gas is bad and it won’t run anyway. You will need to clean out the entire fuel system: tank, Petcock, carb, lines, etc and get fresh fuel in it. My gas goes bad after sitting for a few months.

Reactions: CFM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dear jetmech,

No, the button is right. It's an imported italian z400, I guess the button configuration is different than the original one sold in the US.

Anyway I disassembled the throttle lever mechanism, it seems fine to me. If the cable is reluctant to come and go the problem should be on the other end...the carburator, right?

Could it be that the old gasoline has somehow damaged the other end of the cable? It's like that the other end has no strength in pulling the cable..I even sprayed a lot of wd 40 inside the cable
sheath

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
I don’t see a return spring inside the throttle lever on your video. Have you tried the lever on the carb? One of them has to have a spring to pull it back. I imagine the carb itself is gummed up and needs to be removed and cleaned out. If the carb doesn’t cure it, it might be time for a new cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wait what? imported italian z400? What's different?
No, wait. I'm italian and live in italy. The atv is an "italian" version, that's why the starting button might be in a different place than your american one.
Anyway start button or not my atv has problems to the carb being left unused with gasoline in for 6 years....I firstly need to open the carb, clean it and check the problem with the power cable

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
That would be the snorkel for the airbox. Remove the fuel tanks bolts and slide it forward a little, then the snorkel should come off the airbox.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok, snorkel removed.
Now I have to remove the hoses but they are all stiff, I fear of breaking them.

Any suggestion? Please have a look :

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
They can be tough to pull off. While pulling on the hose, I use a flathead screwdriver and pry on the end of the hose. They will take a lot of abuse, but if it does break, just replace it with standard automotive fuel hose and hose clamps.

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
It might help, but may make it easier to rip. It is a fuel line, so heat may not be the best thing to try.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts