Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a quick answer to this question and i hope to get it before 1pm tomm...lol. I let a friend borrow my Z for pratice and he said when he was finished and brought it back to unload, it wouldnt fire. after checking some things i found it to by way over flooded. so i changed the oil (was doing it today anyway) and pulled the plug out. turned it over a few times to cycle the oil around and to evac the fuel from the top of the motor. Put everyting back together and she fired up no problems but now it idles way high. I asked him if he touched or chanegd anything and he said all he did was before he left after bringing it back he pulled everything off and tried to clean the plug by spraying it down with some carb cleaner. So im just woundering if that is where my high idle is comming from or if i should be looking at the idle screw and or throttle lever? HELP HELP HELP!!!! big race tomm at 1pm

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Maybe the throttle cable got jacked around a little.....
have you tried turning the idle down?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Air leak in carb maybe?

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Maybe the throttle cable got jacked around a little.....
have you tried turning the idle down?
that was my first thought, if the cable isnt seating in the holders right it could be holding the carb open a little. check the cable, then see if you can settle the idle by turning the idle speed screw. also check the cable for the enrichment plunger.

it scarey to think about but check the intake for dirt, dirt will cause the slide to stick up...mud races are famous for screaming fast idling quads by the end of the day (and oil smoke everywhere!)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill have to check the cable at the mount on the carb. it goes to WOT and back no problems. i checked to see if there is any slop after the throttle has returned to idle, and it doesnt seem to have and free play or movement. as far as the idle screw i checked that is it doesnt seemed to have been chanegd.

·
Registered
433 Posts
have you played with the throttle cable adjustment

·
Registered
173 Posts
had the same prob after i took my carb off and cleaned it. all i had to do is adjust the screw on the throttle cable going in to the thumb housing unscrewed it little and now it back to perfect. which i didnt think it could be that because i unhooked it from the carb,but it worked. i'd try that befre messin with fuel screw and wat not.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leaving a little early today...picking up a new plug and tossing that in to see if it changes anything. then if not im going to start checking and playing with the adj. at the cable and checking the screw....

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Good luck bud. Get her going so you can win that race.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

after replacing the plug (it was time anyways lol) the idle was still high. pulled off the plastics and tank and found that i was id say a 1/4 innch from the throttle closing all the way. So i poped off the throttle cover plate and check to make sure nothing was binding. I adj. it and fired her up and everything was allright. as far as the race goes biggie....i wasnt able to pull off the win. It was however so close the track had to go to the timers to find out who won. On th eplus side the person i took second to is my team mate so cant really be to mad at that. thanks to everyone for their help...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts