NO! Really...they are holy!

Upper skidplate

Lower skidplate

Gussets

If they don't work...just let me know.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
is it me or are the skids welded to the frame?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're welded. I have a somewhat large bend in the frame(where the vin is located)...so the skids have 2 functions.

·
Registered
49,506 Posts
what are yo ugoing to do when you bend the hell out of the skids..........  grind them off???    :?               looks good...but..........the holes......   it does make them weaker.[/b]
actually, if anything, the holes will make it stronger. a circle is the strongest shape out there, it evenly distributes weight on all sides...so if anything, hes actually made them stronger. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
what are yo ugoing to do when you bend the hell out of the skids..........  grind them off???    :?               looks good...but..........the holes......   it does make them weaker.[/b]
actually, if anything, the holes will make it stronger. a circle is the strongest shape out there, it evenly distributes weight on all sides...so if anything, hes actually made them stronger. :)[/b][/quote]

well if thats the case....how about i go drill some holes in my frame and i will distribute it evenly on all sides.........then do some jumps.... ok? :) 8)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I believe what he was trying to say was that if you're going to put a hole in something, say a skid plate, a circular hole will leave the skid plate stronger than any other type of hole (i.e. a square hole). Naturally, no holes leaves the skid plate in the strongest condition possible.

(sorry, that was the engineer in me talking... :D )

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Im not seeing anything.....Im confused

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For all of those in doubt!

The holes are there to make it lighter....yes, it does compromise the integrity of the plate...but not enough to matter. It's 1/8th inch steel....it's NOT GOING TO BEND! I welcome any of you to try it. Short of me casing a jump made of concrete or steel.

Look at it this way....If I'm able to bend the steel plate on there...then my frame is toast anyway, and I'd probably be in a lot of pain.

·
Registered
399 Posts
technically an egg has the strongest shape =)

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
go ahead, just weld the holy moly out of that frame.... :D

startin to look much like "madmax", that mel gibson flick..... :hehe :hehe

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Crazie: Did those tubular supports on the upper shock mounts interfer with anything? i.e. like the headlight assemb.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crazie:  Did those tubular supports on the upper shock mounts interfer with anything?  i.e. like the headlight assemb.[/b]
No...no interference with anything. I used my front plastics as a guide on where to place them....they fit perfect and look like they belong there from the factory IMO. A good friend of mine has a kick-ass welder for a brother. His Dad and brother helped me with the cutting, grinding and welding. I like the gussetts we made better than anything I saw so far. The only thing I had to pay for was the material.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
go ahead, just weld the holy moly out of that frame....  :D

startin to look much like "madmax", that mel gibson flick.....  :hehe :hehe[/b]
LOL! By the time I'm finished it will. Just went riding this weekend and broke the mounting bracket that mounts the plastics to the frame on the front left side. The more I ride...the more it breaks...the more we weld...lol...it's a vicious cycle.

I should've bought a honda.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts