Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anyone that has the hotcams intake cam, only, what do you think of it? is it worth it, can you feel it? do you lose much bottom end? what other pros/cons does it have, i'm about 10 seconds away from ordering one, but i wanted the opinions of those who have tries it first

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the intake done

I did the intake side and this quad is nothing like a stock version. Adding the cam wakes this quad up. The low end is so snappy that I am thinking of going to a 15 front sprocket or a lower rear to help keep the front down.

I have not been able to get the top end verdict, because I'm still waiting on my 170 main jet. I ran it for a bit with a 165 and it's too lean. No airbox lid, K&N along with a E-series slip on.

Hope this helps you make your decision.....

Kevhead
Zoom400

·
Registered
970 Posts
I still run a 155 main. What's up with a 170? It pulls WAYYYYY hard. No indications of being lean at all.
Adding the exhaust cam Friday. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I just ordered the intake cam and will have the complete pro circuit t-4 which in DW they ran a 160 main stock filter no lid and was dead on which i am gonna run the stock filter for now with no lid so i might pick up both a 160 and 165 and start with the 160

·
Registered
300 Posts
I still run a 155 main. What's up with a 170? It pulls WAYYYYY hard. No indications of being lean at all.
Adding the exhaust cam Friday. I'll let you know.[/b]
With the pipe, no airbox lid, and K&N, it's running lean at top end. The plug tells it all. if your running your airbox lid, then you are probably fine running a 155. White Brothers ships a 165 jet with there pipe, so with the additional mods and with the plug still white, a 170 is the next step.

So that is the reason for the 170 main jet.

Kevhead
Zoom400

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well after getting it jetted this afternoon, and getting my 13t front sprocket on, it blew me away, so i guess ill order the cam in the morning to make it even better

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks kevhead. I picked up a .160 and a .165 today at the shop. I do have my lid off so I'm probably a little lean. It runs fine all the way to the top, but I don't check my plug after a WOT run too often. Maybe there's more power there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I just read my plug after going up from a 152.5 to a 155 with the intake cam. It's just a bit dark. The 152.5 was just a bit white. I thought it would be getting tan, but it went right past that and is just a bit on the fat side. Pretty touchy. I'm leaving it as is and going up to a 25 pilot to at least bring that in line.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the input

I just read my plug after going up from a 152.5 to a 155 with the intake cam.  It's just a bit dark.  The 152.5 was just a bit white.  I thought it would be getting tan, but it went right past that and is just a bit on the fat side.  Pretty touchy.  I'm leaving it as is and going up to a 25 pilot to at least bring that in line.[/b]

Where abouts are you riding? I'm in Northern IL.. It's strange on how I have to run a much bigger main jet then you. I haven't had to change my pilot yet, as my idle is ok once it warms up a bit.

I'll be taking mine back out this weekend to try and tweek it more. It's good to know what others are doing and how they are coming along on there setups.

Thanks for the update.

Kevhead
Zoom400

·
Registered
15 Posts
I JUST DID MY CAMS ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND IM IMPRESSED. I JUST GOT MY 13T FRONT SPROCKET TODAY. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOURS WITH THE CAMS WITH A 13T, OR I EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT LEAVING IT ALONE ANY OPIONS WOULD BE NICE

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
ive heard only good things about the hotcams in the Z so far....... but my friends dad told me not 2 go into the motor because ill have to mess with it all the time.... he hasnt had good luck with his sons 400ex and i think that might be the reason hes saying that.... but will i have to work on it more often (even tho i dnt even have to now) if i put that cam in? thnx for any help

·
Registered
300 Posts
Update on my Cam experience.

Went out today with a 170 in for the main jet and it was better at high end, and it was only 20 degree's out there.
I moved the needle to the 5th clip and noticed a difference in the low to mid range. Adjusted the mixture screw to about 3 1/2 turns. This quad has so much low end, that my next move is to go smaller on the sprocket in the rear.

As far as the guy stating that once you open your engine, you'll be in it all the time. Well the 400ex uses a jam nut on the valves (I beleive) as like my warrior, I was adjusting that all the time. The Z uses shims and once they are set they are set. A much more reliable setup.

I let the dealer install mine, just so I didn't have to deal with taking it apart in my cold garage, but also trust the mechanic I had do it. He also wants to check it after I rode it and broke in the Hot Cam. I think it might be a little off on the shim, but it's pretty darn close.

You want to wake your quad up, put a hot cam on the intake side, you'll notice instant throttle response.

Kevhead
Zooming400 :twisted:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I can wait to get mine in hopefully next week. Do you need to buy a gasket or what else should i buy for the install already have the cam sittin outside in my cold Jeep.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don't believe you need a new one

I can wait to get mine in hopefully next week.  Do you need to buy a gasket or what else should i buy for the install already have the cam sittin outside in my cold Jeep.[/b]
I believe you can use the same valve cover gasket, but not 100% sure. Looks like the mechanic that put mine in, use the gasket and also used a gasket sealer from looking at it from the side. I would say if you don't tear the seal, then you can reuse it. But Barely Legal will have a better answer to this one, as I beleive he has had his off a few times now.

Kevhead
Zooming400 :twisted:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've been careful with my valve cover gasket and have reused it after having the cover off 4 times. It's in great shape with no leaks.

I also stepped up at a .160 main today and gained a ncie torquey punch from about 7,000 rpm up.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
PLZ HELP

ive heard only good things about the hotcams in the Z so far....... but my friends dad told me not 2 go into the motor because ill have to mess with it all the time.... he hasnt had good luck with his sons 400ex and i think that might be the reason hes saying that.... but will i have to work on it more often (even tho i dnt even have to now) if i put that cam in? thnx for any help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts