Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much hose power does a hot cam make, if any, for a z400. And also are there any other cams (for a z400) that are better that hot cams, and how much do they cost?

Thanks,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanx guys ur responces are really helping me!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i saw in a add for hot cams 159 for stage one they have no stage 2 yet i have no clue about the horse power im new to 4strokes ive oned nothing but 2 strokes in my life

·
Registered
379 Posts
I compared the grinds of the Hot Cams and the Web Cams and Web has three stages with more lift and duration. Also, Hot Cams does not have the decompression mechanism on their cams. I will be posting dyno runs for the Web cams this week.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Thanx guys ur responces are really helping me![/b]
easy there tiger, the z400 is fairly new and not many people have cams and the more expensive upgrades. :p (take that)

·
Registered
200 Posts
cams

TC RACING has cams for the Z400. Think the guy said it was $189 w/exchange. I'm going with him even though it might be a little more than everyone eles's. He been doing Doug Gust work on the DRZ400. He also builds some real good 4-stroke motors.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was told today that I may be testing a set of the Hot Cams for fun. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How would a high performance cam add horsepower? Also, what are stages? I've heard of a "Stage 5" clutch made for cars, and I know that they're illegal, but what does "Stage" stand for?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks, but I've already checked that out. Does a high performance cam open and close the valves more precisely?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi-perf cams let more in and out which creates more hp. The stages r how 'aggresive' the cam is. Stage 1 is mild and stage has a little more, but Hot Cams rn't very aggresive to begin with. I think Web Cams is the way to go.

Later

·
Registered
16 Posts
High performance cams open the valves earlier, and/or open them faster, and/or keep them open longer, and/or open them farther. The longer the valves are open and/or the farther they are open, the more fuel/air mixture is let in, hence the more power is produced. Theoretically.

BTW, WP (or anyone who can answer the question), what the devil is a decompression mechanism?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Theres alot more to cams than just duration and lift. There is whats called overlap, overlap for those who dont know is when the intake and exhaust cams overlap. At high rpms this can make big power. when the exhuast opens at the same time as the intake it actually pulls the freash are into the cylinder, and the intake air pushes the hot exhuast gases out. Problem is, if a cam has a ton of overlap generally the bottomend is a little choppy. So generally that is why a mild cam generally makes more bottom-mid range, and the more lift and duration generally overlap occurs and you get more top end. If I was running a rec motor i would lean more toward duration that lift. as lift tends to put more wear on valvesprings and lifters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And there is more than overlap. Don't forget lobe center angle, and the specific opening and closing points of intake and exhaust. So, ZRider, are you keeping up with all this?

·
Registered
379 Posts
The lack of a decompression release was not a problem for my high compression motor after all. I will post a dyno for the Hot Cam tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WP, do u have a pic of ur z?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was a dipsh!t and drove to Trinity, but forgot to bring my keys to unlock the bike. Sorry guys, I will have to do it tomorrow now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oooooooo thanx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts