Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ive been rideing atv's for about 3 years cause I learned how to ride on a old polaris I think .

·
Registered
620 Posts
2 years ago i got a kx80, but after 1 year i decided that i hated it and got a yamaha blaster, which i have had for 1 year.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I started riding dirt in 1973 on a 68 yamaha 90 enduro.I've had so many
bikes over the years,but what got me into atv's was my 1978 honda 90 atc.
I only had it for a little over a year,but when I sold it I swore I'd get another
one.24yrs and alot of water under the bridge and here I am!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Lets see...
Back in the day of ATC dominance my parents used to ride a 225 Yamaha Trike (Dad's) and a Honda ATC 200M (Mom's). And every now and then they would take me with em, I was bout 3. They sold them around 89-90. Then in 1993 my grandparents purchased a blue Honda 300 Fourtrax 4x4 (It has had 1 overhaul tune up, 3 oil changes, and 1 new set of front tires...backs are bald stockers, still runs like the day it was purchased, well close anyways). Rode it for years, bout til round 1999-2000. I then flipped my uncles Yamaha Moto-4, still dunno how it happened.....busted up my elbow and fractured my sisters skull (this was back in the day when I wasnt too smart and hated wearing helmets :roll: Stupid me).
Last October my dad decided to purchase a 250 Recon for him and a 250ex (*sigh*) for me. He was going along the lines of a 250 would be big enough engine wise, not! Been ridin almost non-stop since. And first thing I did was purchase a helmet. I desperately look foward to the day when I can get a 400+ quad b/c this little 250 is very limiting and its a bit to small for someone who is 5'11", 155 lbs.

Thats my life in quads.....hope it continues til I can no longer move and am stuck on my death bed b/c I enjoy every minute of bustin through the trails. :D

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I think it was 1987, my father and I were walking through our neighborhood. One of our neighbors was selling an '83 ATC 200S. Well, I had never seen anything so amazing! I decided to put forth a "teenager manipulating parents to buy him something he absolutely doesn't need" effort the likes of which the world had never seen. 8) To make a long story short, it worked like a charm. $700 bucks, and it was ours. I never even considered riding without a helmet, so I saved up.
I had alot of fun on that trike for a couple of years. I probably would have gotten another 3-wheeler if it hadn't been for my crash. I was booking down an old fire road when the front wheel got stuck in the right tire track (as 3-wheelers tended to do). I went off-course, nailed a rock, and did a massive flying-Y. 8O When I woke up several minutes later, I discovered that I had come down head-first on the very rock I had hit and had been knocked out. After riding back to the trailer (and my dad) with a bent fork, we decided a 4-wheeler was the way to go.
I ended up with a 1987 LT230E Quadrunner (the Quadsport clone). I absolutely LOVED that quad.
: I rode every chance I could for the next couple years and babied it endlessly. Well, for some reason, after a couple years, I decided my next conquest was going to be a little red sports car (Eagle Talon). I sold my quad to help pay for it. One of the dumbest things I ever did. :cry: Don't get me wrong, the car was awesome, but I missed riding.
In 1997, I bought an RF600 streetbike so I could ride with my buddy. Well, he totaled his Katana while I was at the Motorcycle Training Course. I rode for the next few years alone, but it wasn't much fun.
Then, this year, I noticed the new Z. I had to have it. So I put the bike on eBay, it sold in 2 days, and I went and got the Z. This makes up for selling my old quad. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Age 12 (my brother was 9): Dad got us new 1982 XR's. I got a 100 and my little brother got a 80.

Age 13 (my brother was 10): Dad got us new KDX's! Hello 2-Strokes!!! I got a 200 and my little brother got a 80.

Age 15 (my brother was 12): Dad got each of us new 250R's! Our first trikes! I wanted my little bro to get a 200X...but dad got him the 250R anyways....lol.

Age 16 (my brother was 13): Dad got us our first used bikes. I got a barely used 86 CR250 and lil bro got an 80! We still had the 250R's too. 8)

Age 16: I got a 85 Honda 1000R...my first streetbike...with own money that I earned... 8)

Age 16: Dad said if I got rid of that 1000R he'd buy me ANY car I wanted! So I traded the 1000R for a 85 CR500 and some cash. :twisted: Oh...and I did get my choice of a car...got a Mustang SVO.

Age 17: By little bro got a 87 Tecate that was a true Jimmy White Replica...Klem Research Motor...50mm carb!...thats right a FIFTY MM CARB!...Calfab Swingarm...Axcaliber axle....Hoosiers all they way around...and much more....NOW HERE IS THE KICKER...my lil bro rode it once and it scared him so bad he gave it to me! lol. That frigging machine is still the fastest one I have ever had...the only thing that would come close to me in a drag was a CR500. One time (I swear to GOD) I went up against a FMF Piped and then some Banshee running Turf Tamers in the sand and he barely beat me....I then invited him to the pavement...he declined...the next week I came back with Turf Tamers and smoked him...lol.

Age 18-20: I had another CR500 and another CR250...and then after doing some laps on my buddy's 88 250R I finally made the switch to a quad (which was hard because I could run in front of any of my buddy's quads as well as behind them)...I bought a worked over 87 Quadracer 250. I liked the corning ability of the quads...I was faster...I just lacked that Klemed out Tecate power.

Age 20: I hurt my knee on my Quadracer...I hit my knee on the right nerf-bar when landing from a jump. Within the next 4 years I had 3 knee sureries. 2 scopes and 1 ACL Repair.

Age 25: I bought a 93 KX250...piped it...I noticed I had some fear now...sucks...I was affraid to plant my foot in any right hand turns.

Note....since I had the knee thing I had to watch every step I took...if I twisted my ankle...I would pop my knee...SUPER PAIN...definately the worse I ever felt. After the ACL repair it was tight again. I developed a fear of heights....still have it. :?

Age 32 (this year): My best buddy and I have been putting time on a CRF450 and a CR250....both 2002's. We rode them about 10 times. Both had full exaussts and the 250 also had reeds. The bikes were traded in about 3 weeks ago roughly towards 2 NEW KFX400's.

DADDY'S BACK! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My dad got his first three wheeler when I was 2 years old. It was a 1982? Kawasaki KLX200. He then moved up to a to Kawasaki KSF250. After that he got a 1985 LT230 Quadsport. Then he got his present machine 1987 LT500 quadracer. I have always been around ATV's. My dad was vice president of ATVAM in 1987, and was president fo the local club. He became a Safety instructor in 1988 with ASI and still does some training in his spare time. He bought 3 mini atv's for use for training. He bought a Yamaha tri-zinger 60, a 1987 Honda fourtrax 70, and a 1989 Suzuki LT80. I spent a lot of time on the 70 and 80, and my brother spent alot of time on the 60.

I bought my first fourwheeler in May of 2000. I got a 2000 Honda 400EX right befor the 2001's came out. I sold that as of Feb. 2002 because of financial difficulties. I now have my Z400.

My dad just turned 45 this week, and doesn't take his quad out too often. I am planning on taking it off his hands within the next couple years.

I plan on being involved in ATV's for the rest of my life.
One of these days I will join a club.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
In 1964 I was born with only half of my legs. I wear both prosthetics. When I was 12 my parents got me a 3 wheeler to ride around the farm.After high school I started racing T T and short tracks on 200X then blaster then SHEE.I won my share of races and a track championship.Now I just trail ride with my friends,wife[trail blazer] and kids.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My uncle goes to West Virginia every year. I always wanted to go czu they shoot guns and stuff. So one year my mom, sis uncle and I all went down there. One thing they always do is go on a big trail ride everyday. I rode on the racks, it was fun but i wanted to ride. Jamie, is the one that owns the land and atvs, he said i could go ahead and try, so i did and it was awesome. Next year i got to drive around the mountain and i convinced my mom to get me one. It came i got a Honda 90 and i was 13years old! It was small but i didn't complain, i rode that thing so hard and i still havn't had a problem. Then my mom remarried and my step dad used to dirtbike so he was willing to get a atv. I was going to get a 400ex, but then the Z40 came and i got it.

Later

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Well my parents bought me and my brother a Suzuki 185 Quadrunner, I think it was an '87 model. That was a pretty awesome quad, tough too. Then when it died, you know how kids are, hehe, we got a '94 Suzuki King Quad. The King Quad was a really good quad too, again it broke, you know how kids are. Then my parents bought a '97 Kind Quad, I promised to baby that quad and I did. My brother and his friend took it for a ride and some straw got caught under the exhaust manifold when they parked it and it burnt to the ground. That sucked. My parents had no insurance on this quad either, yet they still bought another quad. This time a '98 500 Quadrunner!! That quad was wicked fun and powerful. Its still around today. Then I bought myself a 2002 Arctic Cat 500i last winter and about 3 months ago I bought my Z400. So I've been riding quads for about 15 years, I will always drive quads, till the day I die, which I hope is not to soon because I want to drive alot more!!

That was a big paragraph! Oh well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 7. I started out on a Honda Z 50 back in 1987. After the Z 50 I got an 1990 XR 80. I went riding with these two brothers and they had a 1989 Warrior and I went for a ride on the back of it. I wound up buying that Warrior and a 1989 RM80 from them. After the RM80 I bought a 1990 YZ125 in 1997. I just sold the Warrior to a friend and sold the YZ to some guy and bought the Z400.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My first quad was a Suzuki! Yup started on a suzuki! I was 8. A suzuki quad runner 230. Man those things where the shiz nit. Took a beating. They where fun. The suzuki shop was to far though to drive too all the time. Local shop was Yamaha so we switched to them after the 230s got warriors. We originally where going to get snowmobilies. Went shopping for them. However, my dads friend son bought a suzuki and he loved atvs and got 2 suzukis! then from there moved on up! Here I am 17 and still love it. Damn, almost 10 years! That is hard to believe! Will ride till I die!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It all started when I was barely big enough for my mini bike. It had a monster 3.5 briggs and stratton with a pull cord, spring front shocks, and a hard tail. I was hooked. From there, I saved all my pennies and bought a SERIOUSLY used Suzuki TS 185 dirt bike which was my first real bike, which was a real tank considering how young I was. My little brother got a 110 ATC and couldn't keep me off of it. Of course there was also the XL 250, and XR 125 too. We never had quads, never had the money for them. Well, I'm all grown up now with my own money. We love our Z's and I just can't get enough of these fourth gear wheelies.
peace

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
June 2002, my friend bought a Honda 400ex...

him "want to ride it"
me "uhhh"
him "here's the clutch, to shift..... blah blahbal"

I rode about 200 ft on pavement & the next week I went to a dealer, just to check prices and ended up taking home my Z400. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
:eek: I started riding ATC 110's when I was about 10 years old. I remember the killer machine was the ATC 200X. Of course, nothing could touch the ATC 250R's and Kawasaki Tecate 3's. Riding three wheelers was a lot of fun. I sometimes miss riding them.

The first four wheeler I ever rode was a Honda Fourtrax 200SX. I thought it was so cool. My dad (along with a lot of money saving) helped me buy a brand new 1987 Honda 250X. I loved that four wheeler. Now I own a Z and I'm having a ton of fun on it. Techonology has come a long way.

I still dream of owning a completely restored 1988 Kawasaki Tecate 4 though. What a killer, rare, fast, beautiful quad.

Happy Ridin'!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts