Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If I'm correct you only have one click left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's just friggin wonderful...

·
Registered
433 Posts
At lease your chain didn't kink then jump (only one and valves where fine) and smack the tenioner slide so bad that it fell apart. I was so lucky that the only thing i had to replace was the guides tenioner and the chain

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I sent a picture of the tensioner to my dad and his reply was "sell that piece of s**t before i do!" i'm going to try to work on him about it.. This really sucks!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Did u undo the bolt on the end and take the spring out before you removed the tensioner from the head? If you did and that is an accurate count on clicks left, you have no time and need a new cam chain now.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was I supposed to do that? If i put the tensioner in now will it automatically adjust when i start up the quad?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it push out or something if you try taking out the tensioner without removing that bolt first?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Does it push out or something if you try taking out the tensioner without removing that bolt first?
Yes it pushes out. You will need to take that bolt and spring out then lift that little tab to reset the tensioner by pushing it back in. Then revolt the tensioner to the quad, put the spring and bolt back into the tensioner and turn the quad over to set the tensioner. Once that's done you can remove the bolt and spring from tensioner then unbolt the tensioner from the quad and count how many clicks are left on it. Do that and report back.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright.. I will do that when i get home later

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
updated cam tensioner picture after following the correct procedures to take it out.. it's f***ing done, the tensioner is still all the way out. :disgust:

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
it is a really easy job to change the chain. do it now before you mess up the top end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
theres two types of timing chain tensioners, there is the automatic tensioner which runs off the oil pressure and the manual tensioner which you adjust your self all the time.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I gotta talk to my dad about it.. I should probably rebuild the top end while i'm in there right? I have a whole rebuild plan figured out already on which parts I want to get.. I just need to talk my father into helping me do it. I will definitely be getting a manual cam chain tensioner if I rebuild the motor.. how often do they need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sucks that this has to happen now.. right when my Z was starting to get sweet! (I know, I don't have all the parts installed that are in my signature.. just been too lazy to put them on, and still waiting for others in the mail)

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
why would you rebuild the top end? I chewed through 2 cam chains, They arnt very hard to put in and it pretty amazing to hear how quiet the motor gets when it gets a fresh one.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My motor doesn't seem like it's making much noise right now.. last time I checked the cam chain it was tight (couple months ago) and it's not making much more noise if any more than it was when it was tight, but the tensioner is all the way out so the chain might be on it's last little bit before it becomes loose

Once you take the Cam cover off the top of the head and you have the cams and the chain out, it's only a few more bolts for the head to come off (should probably replace the valves considering how they are well known for serious failure) and only a few more bolts from there the cylinder comes off.. (the piston is 8 years old now, a fresh one may not be such a bad idea).. and I could install some DRZ gaskets while i'm in there to bump up the compression some

Also, while I have the clutch off to get the chain in place, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the plates and springs as well

·
Registered
423 Posts
well ya, I figured you may have been on a budget or something. Go for it then and def go with a DID or Wiseco cam chain. I went with a cheap ybn and it wore out in a matter of months

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'll see with the budget thing..
which is better DID or Wiseco? and if I do rebuild it, are Wiseco valves any good compared the Ferrea's or Kibblewhite?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I loved my kibblewhites, They never gave me any problems and ive never had to re-shim them. I Cant really say anything about the wiseco parts, ive never ran any but a few people on here have and they seem to like them. The DID chain has been great.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts