Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me I am not the first noodlehead to take off the cover to the starter gears thinking that there would be an oil filter there. They look the same and the manual is pretty lame. I need some reassurance here! Anyone? Buehlor?

Dan

·
Registered
245 Posts
YOur not the only one, I also did it when I first change my oil too. I felt dumb has hell when I did it cause my dad owns a cycle shop , and I have been messing with this type of stuff all my life. Just again YOUR not the only one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is the filter on the left (clutch) side, or the right (brakes) side? I thought it was on the left, but I want to make sure because I'm changing the filter for the first time this weekend.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is on the Brake side. Right under the header guard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're not the only one...I did it too!! :? God did I feel stupid, just wasn't paying attention. Well on top of that I had trouble re-seating the starter assembly..yes, the whole assembly came out when I pulled the cover off. Well, as I was attempting to put it back in I tried too hard and cracked the cover under too much stress of putting the bolts back in (just the cover cracked, nothing else was affected) so I sent away for a new STOCK cover. STUPID ME!!! Should've sent for an aftermarket cover. If the stock starter cover cracks that easy, what happens if I'm flying down the trail and a rock kicks up and cracks it again? After this incident it made me realize that protection is paramount on this machine. I have since purchased a Pro-Design case saver, and will also purchase a Pro-Design water pump cover from Alba. More protection to come down the road.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i didnt mistaken the starter cover for the oil filter cover.......but i did take it off to polish it. and when i put it back on i had trouble with the gear to....the thing that was hard..was the rubber o-ring was folding out of the groove not letting the cover pop back in. I finally got it back in lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No, apparently where the "male" end of the starter assembly slips into the "female" portion inside, there is a little protective sheath that sits inside the "female" end and the "male" slips into. Well to get to the point, in my efforts to re-seat it, I must have slightly distorted this sheath and I tried to bolt it in anyway - thinking that it would just slip back into place. WRONG!! Oh well, it was a fun learning experience, but I did too have a little trouble with the O-ring when I got my new cover but just a little prying with a blunt object on the O-ring (so I wouldn't cut it) helped that. Oh yeah, the service guy at the cycle shop just smoothed down the portion of the sheath that was affected and no problems after that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You're not the only one...I did it too!!  :?  God did I feel stupid, just wasn't paying attention.  Well on top of that I had trouble re-seating the starter assembly..yes, the whole assembly came out when I pulled the cover off.  Well, as I was attempting to put it back in I tried too hard and cracked the cover under too much stress of putting the bolts back in (just the cover cracked, nothing else was affected) so I sent away for a new STOCK cover.  STUPID ME!!!  Should've sent for an aftermarket cover.  If the stock starter cover cracks that easy, what happens if I'm flying down the trail and a rock kicks up and cracks it again?  After this incident it made me realize that protection is paramount on this machine.  I have since purchased a Pro-Design case saver, and will also purchase a Pro-Design water pump cover from Alba.  More protection to come down the road.[/b]
Does pro design have a website?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I did it too (Blame it on the Beer). But since I was in there I just gave it a good checkin out!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I haven't done it, but they do look the same, buy some custom ones so you won't get them confused(plus they look cool :D ) I like the ones alba makes with the zuki sign etched into them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts