Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone wanted more ground clearance on their Z or any other chain driven quad couldn't you just buy a much smaller sprocket and then buy a bigger sprocket for the front to compensate for the smaller sprocket out back? That a pretty long sentence. Then you put on 22" tires and maybe a smaller disc out back as well. If braking is very important to you then you could add another caliper as well.

Has anyone done this before? Or even seen this? You could probably get 6" of clearance out back if you did it this way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
well, u cant get much bigger in the front, and a smaller rotor would not work, cus the pads could not reach them,or it would only be on the top of the rotor cus of the smaller diameter. If u want to get more, gust get like 24 backsd of something

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You could put 22s on it, it would look a little wierd but you could. lol. Plus, if you got ahold of some 250r discs and pads you might be able to trade those out b/c I believe the Rs are smaller....alot of people in the GNCC run that setup. As for a chain I couldnt tell ya, I dont know what you would need to run to compensate for the 22" tires.....maybe go a 16t front and drop 2 in the back? Just guessin. 8)

·
Registered
142 Posts
if you go 3 teeth smaller on the back and 1 tooth smaller on the front you have bassically not changer your gearing. 14x3=42 see how one tooth almost equalls three? Sprockets are kind of like octane, most people will never believe that octane is basically a flame retardent. anyway you guys are confused about what size does what. You not going to ever find below a 12 tooth front and maybe only a 13 so your not hoing to change the rear sprocket by more than 6 teeth maximum so forget about it. Oh a 40 tooth compared to a 36 is going to be where the tips of the 36's teeth would be at the base of the 40's teeth/aproximate.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
umm. to figure out the ratio, you divide the rear by the front.

40/14 = 2.857
37/13 = 2.846
34/12 = 2.833

If you put 22" tires on, you'd need to increase that ratio by 10% in order to compensate. I used 13 tooth front sprocket as an example

40/13 = 3.077 (7.7% increase)
41/13 = 3.154 (10.3% increase)

·
Registered
550 Posts
hey kawa killer

i just got rid of my 1998 skidoo formula z 670
i really liked that thing and wished i wouldnt of got rid of it

do u like yours?

·
Registered
993 Posts
22s and 13T

I am running 22s in the rear and 23s out front. They look good and I like the additional clearance, although it is only 1" it is amazing how many fewer rocks I hit when riding the trails out here in Arizona. I my now go back to the 14T front with my other engine mods, cause my first and second gears are not as useful.

In the past someone had posted a gearing chart and someone recently posted a link to estimate gearing specifically for tire size and sprocket combos on the z 400. Look for them, they are helpful!

Out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts