Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I was at this kids house and we were talking about his fourwheeler, a 400ex and it had a tether kill switch on it. So I was like "dude I'll buy that from you" he was like "nah I use it all the time" then this other kid who has a shed full of parts from snowmobiles and fourwheelers and that type of stuff told me I could have an old one for free. I was like "sure, its free" so now I have this "free" tether but don't know how to set it up. It has 2 wires. I spliced them because it had the wrong adapter for anywhere on the z400. 1 black, 1 orange with a black stripe on it. But I don't know where to splice into on the wire with the quad itself.

Can anybody help me?

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
you need to determine whether its a normally open or a normally closed switch. you do that by using a multimeter in the ohms mode and test the 2 wires coming from the switch to see if you have a closed circuit when the tether is in or if it is closed once the tether has been pulled. knowing that will determine how you will be wiring it up.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yOGi420™;761949 said:
you need to determine whether its a normally open or a normally closed switch. you do that by using a multimeter in the ohms mode and test the 2 wires coming from the switch to see if you have a closed circuit when the tether is in or if it is closed once the tether has been pulled. knowing that will determine how you will be wiring it up.
Well it has this button with a cap which is the tether itself, the button goes out farther with the cap off, and when you put the tether cap back on it pushes it in. I will find one of those things, but what are the instructions for both? So I know when I find out.

EDIT: I opened it up and it says "552T" On the housing if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
you really don't want to use a normally open switch since using it means you need to ground out something on the cdi which could cause other electrical failures. the best thing to do is to make sure your have a NC switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts