Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the predator really that much faster than the Z? Because alot of people are saying that they kill z400's in a drag race. And what mods would it take to beat a raptor with a pipe, jet kit and gears? Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
oh yeah, preds'll kill us, but we'll hang in the twisties...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Is the predator really that much faster than the Z? Because alot of people are saying that they kill z400's in a drag race. And what mods would it take to beat a raptor with a pipe, jet kit and gears? Thanks[/b]
U cant really compare the 2 cause the z is detuned from the factory and the pred has a full 100cc's more and better cams and breaths better than the z. With that size motor it better beat the z with a 500cc motor. I wouldnt touch a polaris with a 10 foot poll cause my dad bought a sp500ho in 2001 and that damn thing had so many issues. Let me start by saying it overheated twice,got stuck in 4wd several times, would leak radiator fluid constently and when u were in the right gear it would still tare up drive belts very fast.If I were a first time quad buyer I wouldnt buy a polaris cause the only trails my dads sp ever saw where the ones buy the dealer when he first bought it. Now about the raptor deal get a pipe and correct jetting also gear the z for more top or bottem end and if u really wanna kill it buy a big bore kit, bigger carb, higher cdi, and good porting and polishing and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes,,the Predator is THAT much faster than the Z. Read my post in this forum,,, Predator vs Piped&jetted Z VS 470 Z.

·
Registered
593 Posts
whoa whoa whoa whoa..........yes it is that much fast than the z with 14/37 gearing, yes thats what i said 14/37 :shock on pavement or hardpacked dirt......however, run 14/37 gearing on the Z and i will garuntee you that it is not 6 or 7 bike lengths behind. it would still be faster but not that much

now put a 40 T sprocket in the rear of the preadtor and run the pavement trick again....tell me the result......like i have said time, after time after time, to all of the guys i ride with......in order to compare apples to apples you have to have the same EVERYTHING, gearing....weight of rider..as close as possible, rolling start is a GREAT idea, i mean if the factory would have put 12/44 gearing on the preadtor.......everyone would say, man that predator sure is quick to 50 and then just falls on its face......ahhhh duh

there are quite a few GREAT quads out there today to help our sport, but until you read through all the dealer BS,and people who are reading post's and basing there info on that instead of true life experiences you get a clouded picture.

don't get me wrong i love the predator, Z, Banshee....i think the raptor and ds650 have there place......but get to the apples to spples test and you find the TRUE stock comparison......my $5.87 worth :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
They should be raced as how you would buy them, no gearing changes no nothing. If you want to race modified then to test out your motor mods you might want to have similar gearing but the tranny has its own gear ratio and I doubt the Z and the Pred or any other quad has the same internal gearing, so its damn near impossible, unless you know what the internal gearing is and change the sprockets so that the final gear ratio is the same but the sprockets on both machines will be bigger or smaller.

I do think the predator is that much quicker in a drag race, I have never seen one nor raced one but from what I hear they are no slouch. But I don't like Polaris much so I would never get one.

·
Registered
593 Posts
explain to me why you should compare and race bikes out of the box with the factory set-ups when they aren't apples to apples.

if you run 2 machines with the same gearing in the sprockets, same weight rider or as close as you can get and a rolling start..that is as close as you can get to apples to apples.

as for internal gearing, that's good... that would show the stock set-up along with rev limit and engine temp and clutch......etc

but if you don't have the three things i mentioned above it would never be right. it's like the guy at the dunes i raced, he was on a dale he had a pipe, 13/41 gearing (he went down a tooth) about 200 pounds just like me and we dragged up comp hill.

we were as close as you could get then how the factorys built the bike comes into play and i could see what mapping and fuel injection did for a machine..he got me every time by like 2 or 3 bike lengths

i guess i should have run 14/40 and lost by 6 or 7 bike lengths, then god would my bike suck???

·
Registered
593 Posts
big air- whats the update on ur friends predator? you raced yet?!?! give us the low down! 8)[/b]
no boss we haven't raced at all yet....the only hold up is the fact that my Powertach 4 full system is not here yet and my Z is in the garage with no pipe. oh and one other small detail, the top left corner chain tightening bolt was stripped from the factory and finanlly broke when i was adjusting my chain this weekend, but i took it to the dealer and they are oredering a whole new assemly and 2 bolts under warranty.....that was cool of them

so this friday my pipe is supposed to be here and the chain tightening stuff should be here tomorrow, we are planning a winchester bay show down,...... and yes he is putting on 13/39 gearing for the sand i have a race carb and full system or will have a full system, so the race will be lope sided in mods to my favor......now if i lose.........what the hell am i going to say
:

soon boss....... real soon *puts hands together in prayer*

·
Registered
384 Posts
$20 more will get you 2 witnesses :p , hey let me know when your going i wanna go if i get my pipe that is too hehe. good time to test how the new ol ladys ford ranger pulls the quads to winchester bay. :p

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hey you pay for my trip to Oregon you can have a free witness :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Race with same gearing: So should I go through the trannys and make all the gear ratios the same to? :roll: I say you should race with the factory gearing, because thats how you get consistent results. By your logic I should change tires on the Z so I don't get wheel spin when I race to right! After all the Pred. comes with Razr's right?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea and you should probably make sure you have the same hand grips as the predator so your hold on the bars will be as close to the same as possible. :? Come on,, you can change all the gearing you want and you'll still get waxed by the Predator. Sorry, not trying to hurt anyones feelings. You can gear your quad however you want,, if you geared your Z like was said earlier,,youd still get beat by 7 or 8 if not worse cause the Z in nearly stock trim doesnt have the power to pull that gearing as hard in acceleration,,so,, youd probably get beat worse,,try it and see. When I pumped my Z,,it slammed the limiter in 5th,, so since a ignition box isnt ready yet,,I went up one in the front,, the motor has plenty of power to pull it and it didnt hurt acceleration at all,, actually seemed to help it cause I'm not grabbing gears as fast and its just torquing through each gear and now doent hit the limiter. Gear it how you want,, you either pay for it on one end or the other. I like mine to be geared so its JUST OFF the limiter in top of 5th. If I could put it on a dyno I'd set the gearing up so I was peaking at the top of the power curve in 5th. Thats how I'd set it up for recreational riding like I do. 8)

·
Registered
593 Posts
whatever freaks.......i understand the gear ratio and the Z would have enough power to run the 14/37 gearing especially at a rolling 2nd gear start.

you can't tell me if the predator came with stock sprockets of 12/44 or something and it fell on its face at 50 or 55 that people wouldn't say.wow what's with that, must be a manufactor flaw :roll:

all i am saying is you have to have the major components the same to test fairly, and i know the predator would still smoke a stock z, my buddy has one and i have rode it probably more than he has.

dropping all this mechanic knowlwdge to the average guy doesn't do crap for making people understand, i have rebuilt all my bikes and have ton of mechanic knowledge in race engines as well as big and small engines, i am not talking about the inner workings, but if you are trying to say out of the box testing is the BEST testing...........that's not true.it's a test but not the best way to test

btw.i just got 2 new stickers and grips.......so the predator is toast!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
we can always beat them in reverse though! :D

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Stock vs stock testing, out of the box is best, its how the manufacturer wanted it.

Mod vs Mod testing you would probably like to have very similar gearing to see who has the better mods and better overall bike.

Two strangers drag race, well anything goes, gears, turbos, whatever you got.

If you can arrange the drag and want to test your mods against his then equal gearing is best. Stock vs Stock, zero mobs, stock gearing is best.

I think those grips will really help you eat up that Pred, I know my grips made my Z alot faster, I think I gained 5 hp on top and a few pounds of torque down low. I used this high performance glue, I think thats why. You also have stickers so if you use high performance glue on it too then you will probably gain a good 7 hp. The glue works wonders. Snifff.....sniffff......oh yah, thats the stuff.......good glue. :wink:

·
Registered
267 Posts
how can a predator beat a z that bad, i beat raptors all the time, and there 660, i don't see how it can be that much faster, i went and looked at one the other day and i don't like them at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts