Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with White Bros and they have no idea what to jet my new R4 pipe. I don't know why the manufacturer would sell a pipe they don't know what to jet but oh well. My pipe will be here tomorrow. I also have a NOSS adapter and K&N with outerwear to put on also. I am not sure about running with the lid on or off yet. It will probably depend on what i'm doing and what the terrain is like. Just wondering if anyone has this pipe and what they jetted it at. Dirt wheels used a 165 main but they didn't state their altitude so i don't know if it will work for me or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

wesley
:roll:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody knows huh?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am also considering the R4 pipe and I will tell you my set up so far and it might be a good starting point.

I am running a CFM open top airbox with the screen disk in the intake tube removed. I have a K&N filter with a water repellant Outwears. I rejetted using a DynoJet stage 1+2 kit. These jets are NOT comparable to Mikuni jets! I installed the 155 main jet and their needle with the clip in the third slot from the top. 3 1/2 turns out on the air mixture screw. This runs fantastic with the stock exhaust! I am below 3000 ft.

I suspect with the addition of the R4 I would start with placing the clip in the 4th slot from the top of the needle. Then I would work with the air mixture screw. If needed I would then buy the stage 3 DynoJet kit and use it's componets. It might need to go up 1 or 2 DynoJet sizes.

Hope this helps and remember that if you keep the airbox lid on you might not have to increase the jet size much at all! I would suggest buying the Outerwears stock airbox cover and leaving your lid off. Unless you are going to be crossing deep creeks it is difficult for debris to get to the airbox.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if i put an R4 with the k&n filter and prefilter and dyno jet kit, would it be ok to run with the lid on?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can run it that way but you would be giving up additional HP with the lid on and I would see no sense in running the Outerwear if you plan on keeping the airbox lid on and the snorkel in place.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well when i got my pipe in today i had a jet in the box...they sent me a 165 main jet so i went ahead and installed my adapter and K&N...i just buttoned it up a little while ago and haven't had a chance to ride it..sounds mean with the new pipe and better filter unit...thanks for the advice....hopefully it won't flooding tomorrow and i can get out and ride..later fellas

wesley

·
Registered
6 Posts
R-4

hey i got a r-4 havent put the jet in yet. did you keep the air box lid off. and is the power alot better with the 165 main only cause that is all i have right now i just have to put it in. thank

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
RUN A 165 NO LID AND IF ITS COLD OUT UP THE PILIOT TO A 25

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the rain stopped for a little while so i went out and did some road testing...the ground is too wet to ride on anywhere...i used the 165 main jet and made no other changes...with the lid on the thing won't even hardly run...it would do pretty well till i gassed it then it would start cutting out really bad...like i was on the rev limiter at 4000 RPM or something...so i took the lid off and WOW....this thing makes some noise with that lid off...couldn't believe how loud it was...my raptor with the E-series pipe wasn't this loud...if i knew which screw to turn i would play with it some more...what do i need to turn out or in or whatever? i don't know where it is on the carb...thanks for the help

wesley

·
Registered
169 Posts
ok in about ten minutes im calling and gettin my r4, should i do it or not? sounds to me like everyone is having problems running that pipe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problems....just like with any other pipe....you are gonna have to play with it to get it to work right with your setup...i love mine now...just need to get a new air lid(outerware) so i can ride without fear of mud getting in my air box...go ahead with it man

wesley

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wesley, what was the final setting that you came up with? Was I even close? Outerwears does make a specific top for the Z airbox that attaches with Velcro strips which should set your mind at ease!

·
Registered
281 Posts
OK here's what i got so far, i put my r4 (just the slip on) about a week ago and have ridden twice. ive got a K&N (with an outerwear) w/ the lid and snorkel removed. now take into consideration i live at 7000', my main is a 152.5, my air screw is out 3 turns, my pilot is stock, and my needle is shimed up one washer.

i love the pipe it has a good sound and will break the tires loose at will, even at speed. i cant wait to get the head pipe now.

oh yeah, and its very light also

·
Registered
66 Posts
HMMM

im planing on running the full R4 system with a twin air or uni airfilter.....do u think i will have to run with no lid....cause i really dont feel like haveing to clean air filter and carb all the time if i get a little bit of dirt in there.....thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
when you buy your r4 it will come with a white brothers powerfilter which is a foam filter.
as far as the no lid thing my filter doesnt get that dirty, unless your following someone all day long on a dry day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts