Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my problem is when i jump my front end is either diving or is shooting my bike vertical,more the latter then the previous.i try to hit a jump mid throttle in about 3rd gear,i have been experamenting with preloading on the incline of the jump,works good with long sloped jumps seems to be dangerous on short steep inclines.
any tips on how to keep my front end level would help alot.
Viper

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I had that problem a few times, I hit this one jump and at first I could do it no problem at all, then I tried it with more throttle and I would go straight up almost, it was scary. So try letting off the throttle once you reach the peak of the jump. Also when your in the air I think if you use the front brakes it will bring the nose down, or was it giving it throttle? I'm not sure, someone here will know which it is. I have never used the brakes or throttle to straighten a jump out. Good luck and don't hurt yourself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
DO NOT chop the throttle to late before the jump(at the very top), that will cause a major nose dive (been there done that) :roll: The other thing that helps is your body position always be in a neutral body position centered over the bike with legs and arms bent on take off. Once your in the air you may have to get your butt over the back of the seat to help level it out. If the frontend is up high you can use the rear brake to help bring it down, just stab the brake real quick to stop the wheels from spinnin, be aware it might stall your quad if you do it to hard and hold the brakes to long. Pull the clutch in then. If you have ever watched a supercross race you will notice them doing this over the big jumps. I have never really tried preloading. I have some good shots of me jumping the old Mojave on my web site. Oh yeah practice. :wink:

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can accomplish bringing the front down from a slight incline by tapping the front brakes (centrifugal force). But for a major correction u need to use the back brake. But DONT do this without the clutch pulled in, more than likely you will stall it if you do. As well, if you have OVER-corrected, stab the throttle, as this will bring the front back up. Best is for you to set up a few small jumps, and master them first. Then, work your way up to the larger jumps once you really have the feel for how your particular bike reacts to the different inclines, the lips, etc... Start slow, Creech didnt do it in a day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No matter how my bike goes in the air, I usually use my body to control how I land. If it is way out of control and the nose is way up, pull in the clutch and tap the back brake. That should bring the nose down! Other than that, just get used to the jump and use your body to position the quad. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear lots of people saying that if you hit the back brakes it will bring the nose down... they say it works.. but does anyone know how? :?: I feel stupid asking but i guess i was never good in physics.
I have a couple ditches in my field that i use as "beginner" jumps so i can get used to jumping my quad. these are not huge ditches like by a road, but only about 1-2 foot Whenever i attempt these, i land on my back wheels and never on all fours...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its because the wheels are spinning forward and when you press your brakes the enertia of the tires will make the front of the bike go down because the energy from the spinning tires has to go somewhere. You can think of it as a really big clutch; your wheels are spinning free like when the clutch is enganged but when the brake pads bite, its like your letting the clutch out. i dont know if thats helps you understand it but thats the best way i can put it in words

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
practice.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Viper...I'm kinda new here but it can take a stab at this.

It works the exact same way as when you are sitting at a dead stop and take off...goosing it causes the front end to come up because you are converting the energy from the engine, tranmission into angular momentum at the rear wheels. The path of least resistance for the quad is to counter that torque by directly opposing meaning the wheels spin one way and the quad spins the other if your not careful. In mid flight, you don't have the traction of the ground contact, but you do have the enertia of the rear axle/wheels. Its not as effective as when the tread can grab a mouth full of dirt, but just enough so that when you attempt to accelerate in mid flight, the quad will still continue to react oppositely to the acceleration of the rear axle/wheels by coming up.

....the opposite for braking....ever been doing a wheelie...tap the back brake and almost rip your arms out of their sockets. Same thing in mid flight...not as effective but still enough to shift into a comfortable landing configuration...

Just where a bunch of protective gear until you've conditioned your body to do it naturally without thinking about it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
260 Posts
think of it this way. When you are riding on dirt, you hit your rear brakes hard, and the nose will dive a bit. Or vice-versa, when you hit the throttle the front end wants to come up on you. Same concept, but one is on the ground and the other is in the air. You still get the same effect on your front end. my .02

·
Registered
660 Posts
one thing people aren't mentioning is that if you have to tap the rear brake make sure that you pull in the clutch first, or else you'll stall and you be in a world of sh!t.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts