Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey can anyone give me tips/hints on jumping. Like how to land level and all that good stuff. Jumping it kinda scares the crap out of me because i dont want to damage my quad or kill myself. I dont want to be stupid about it and just go for it when i dont really know what im doing, so any help would be nice. Thanx Guys

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Start small and work your way up! I came from a 4x4 and never jumped. Now I am getting more air on table tops still nothing big but I am not afraid to hit them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
start out small, first or second and remember to give it gas all the way up the face of the jump and lean back so you don't nose plant.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yah DO NOT let of the gas before leaving the face of a jump or you will endo over the bars not fun,trust me.
like the guys said start small and gain confidence in your quad and learn its manners in the air,mine since im a fat arse loves to rise in the nose so i have to adjust,but guys like droppinmanysuckas a thin guy can keep his quad good and level.
just take your time man and dont let other riders preasure you into going beyond your abilities,they arent the ones that will pay for your doctor bill or buy you new parts for your quad.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well said Chris!! Thanks for the props. Always try to land with the back wheels first. Doing so absorbs the most impact. Also, giving the quad throttle in the air raises the front wheels. Hitting the brakes in the air lowers the front wheels. On the middle of any takeoff jump i like to compress the suspension with my body weight. Evil Kinevil beeotches!! 8)

·
Registered
723 Posts
hehe he rocked evil kineivel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
In my opinoin dont try compressing the suspension until your good at jumping. Everytime I have tried it I had problems in the air cause I did it wrong. 90% of the time I ended up with a big nose dive. so i Quit trying to compress for a while until I work my way up.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Also if you hit the rear brakes in the air dont for get to pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
jumping!

Hey if you aren't comfortable jumping don't worry. It takes a lot of seat time to get used to getting big air. The most common mistake riders make when just learning how to jump is being to tense! When you come into a jump have confidence, know you can make it and relax. If you come into a jump scared to death you'll be everywhere in the air. Try not to lean off the back of the bike. Ideal jumping postition is with your crotch right over the gas tank. Flow with the bike in the air, don't fight with it. Remember if you're coming up short on a jump to rev the motor that'll get your back wheels down, Tapping the rear brake will bring the front down, but a beginner doesn't need to worry about that yet. Don't be affraid to let the front wheels touch the downside of a jump first. If you land back wheels first on a steep downside, your front end is gonna slam down. Just remeber to relax and move with the bike, use your body weight to counter-act the movement of the quad. And just stay centered and on the gas, you should do fine. Remember it is usually a good idea to gage a jump several times before going for it, and when you try a jump the first time (especially a double) try to over jump it a little, you don't want to case it (come up short). Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also if you hit the rear brakes in the air dont for get to pull the clutch in.[/b]
Dang I'm stupid, when I'm riding and have to stop really fast I forget to pull in the cluth and it hops and makes weird noises, I'll prolly have to rebuild the tranny in about 3 years. :cussing

·
Registered
81 Posts
just so you know, the new dirt wheels has a really informative article with Kory Ellis teaching how to jump properly and what not to do as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
: HEY ALL4... THIS IS ALL GOOD ADVISE AND I WANT TO CHIME IN AS WELL. TAKE THE TIME TO FIND A SMALL JUMP THAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH AND WEAR IT OUT. USING THE SAME JUMP OVER AND OVER WILL ALLOW YOU TO TRY DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES AND SEE HOW THEY EFFECT YOUR AIRTIME...I HEAR SOME PEOPLE FEATHER THEIR THROTTLE, I HEAR SOME NAIL THEIR THROTTLE AND I USE A SMOOTH EVEN THROTTLE UNTIL I LEAVE THE GROUND. PRELOADING THE SUSPENSION CAN BE LEARNED ON A JUMP AS SMALL AS A SPEEDBUMP. THE ONLY WAY TO GET BETTER IS SEAT TIME. LET US KNOW HOW IT'S COMING.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just to throw two cents in on the conversation, I personally had to stiffen the rbound up alot to keep the seat from smackin my tail. a couple of fender kisses almost had me discouraged

·
Registered
278 Posts
a little goose on the throttle at the lip of the jump tends to help me quite a bit. body position is important also....attack position with your weight a tad bit to the rear.

remember to to have a big a$$ grin on yer face while flying through the air. bah!!! that will come naturally :)

:D = good jump, usually followed by friends going like this :rockon :thumbsup

8O = bad jump, usually followed by Dad going like this :cussing and Mom going like this :cry

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
You guys have some good tips on here. I'll have to try them this weekend. I went to my first track last weekend and tried to double a jump that non of the other quads could do. Well any ways I ended up casing it big time. Other then slamming my jimmy into the gas tank I lived. Nothing that wasn't better after 20 min of swearing.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i dont know if this was mentioned (im in a hurry to leave so i didnt read the thread) but make sure you are standing up as you approach the jump. im pretty sure everything else has been covered. also-dont do anything that is too big for your ability-stupid hurts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Today at the track I cased a jump because I couldn't shift fast enough. I ended up flipping forward and almost getting run over by my own quad. My buddy asked me if I was preloading the jump. So I decided to give it a shot. Again I cased it and slammed my junk into the gas tank. I'll just stick to jumping by instinct.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
here are the tips all together

1. give gas all the way through do not let off or you will nose dive

2. do not pre load until you are good

3. NO peer presiour sp jump your limit

4. practice

5. land on back wheels because the stock z front shocks suck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts